Our DEs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

I agree, that's what I would expect Reese to be basing his numbers on. More along the lines of Hayward money, probably (and maybe with a little more tied to incentives as long as he replicates ths year's production).

The question is, what are the other teams who might attempt to sign KVB basing them on? I don't necessarily think anyone is going to break the bank to get him after this one stellar season....but you never know. It only takes one team to upset the applecart.

I like the Titans' chances of giving him a competitive offer that is in line with any other offer he'd receive. And if the money is comparable, I would expect the Titans have the advantage in other areas.

2. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Well, if anyones going to overpay, it would have to be Snyder from Washington. He's, technically, the only guy that scares me. I could see him trying to throw close to what Kearse got at KVB, especially if KVB finishes #1 or #2 on the sack list and makes the Pro Bowl.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

That's absurd. That's like 66 million, the highest d-lineman contract ever. KVB shouldn't get even close to that. You know he's feeling good about the Titans, his year, his new teammates. If he wants to hit FA, fine, bravo. He's earned it. But the FO should approach him early, before the craziness begins, and hit him up with a number that makes him raise his eyebrows slightly, a little above the average of what he considers "reasonable" given all the factors. Future health being one of them. You want to surprise him, start off around $20M for 5 years. More than he would have expected last year when he was thinking he might be done. Hey, we didn't give that to Travis Henry, and he's still a star.

The tier really is the right approach, IMO. You can pay him pretty well up front, and it's prorated, then if in 2 years he's in his prime and not broken, you can pay him better. That would fit both sides. We'll see a little of the Adam Jones approach to contracting I'm sure.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

what is Henry starring in?

5. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

Doubtful KVB would get more money in two years than he would get now. In two years, KVB will be pushing 30. His agent's job is to get him as much as he can right now. The second veteran contract. The motherlode for most NFL players.

They're not going to want to give the Titans or any other team a lot of room to push money out. They're going to want a chance to make maximum dollars NOW. Whether that's a single bonus or a series of bonuses in the first 2-3 years (as much guaranteed as possible), they don't want to wait two years to see any real money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar