Our DEs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Z.

Joe Z. Guest

You're right on the money, Sox.

You can already tell that KVB is starting to set the tone for the entire defense, not just the line.

Reese better do whatever he can to keep him.

2. Brian

Brian Big Fan

I hate to say "I told you so" (not really), but anyone who knows what an athlete looks like, runs like, and plays like, knew that Laboy was the better player and the better athlete from day one. The Titans got it right. Odom is a backup.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Injury risks.

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

So explain your point, because I'm a little lost :lol:

5. TitanJeff

Reese did not attempt to rework Kearse because of the amount of injuries he piled up. He wasn't the same in 2001 with a high-ankle sprain. He was out most of 2002 with the foot and had more issues in 2003. No doubt there may have been some lingering problems with the foot that year as well. So Reese had to make a decision and was unwilling to invest in Kearse because of the injury history despite doctors saying he was 100%.

I don't see it being that much different thant KVB. Here you have a guy with even more of an injury history than Kearse with the two ACLs. But you have a full, injury-free season which hopefully indicates it is behind him. Still, it's just ONE season removed from four others he was largely ineffective to the point of being released.

I just think Reese will not throw a lot of money at anyone who doesn't have more of a proven track record or is an injury risk.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Carter was real solid as far as not having injury issues. Too bad he wasn't close to the producer KVB has been this year. The main difference in the KVB and Kearse scenarios is that Kearse never showed much after the injuries. The risk wasn't just getting hurt again but also not producing at the same level. At least KVB is producing. Any player at any time can blow out a knee which is a risk you take with any player. Heck, EG was as reliable as a back could be but he hurt his toe and was never the same.
    Obviously there is some salary/bonus range Reese will feel comfortable with and the fact that KVB has been injured in the past and has only produced one season will have an affect. Certainly Reese will want to have tiered bonuses such as roster bonuses so if a severe injury occurs he is covered.
    Either way we will have to take some risk and hope KVB can be productive over the next 4-5 years. DEs that produce like he has are not easy to come by and they are not cheap.

7. TitanJeff

I think any player with past injury issues will be looking at the signing bonus/guaranteed money. I just don't see Reese offering nearly as much as what KVB will get on the open market.

We can all talk about how the Titans gave KVB a shot and how KVB loves the areas but it will ultimately come down to who will offer him the most signing bonus. For that to happen, KVB has to hit the market. And why wouldn't he?

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Obviously if a GM opens his wallet and spends 20% of his CAP money on KVB he is gone. However, at the same time Reese can't be overly tight with the purse strings either and expect to keep quality players. There is a risk involved. To keep players and win in the NFL you have to take reasonable risks and hope they pay off. We took a risk drafting Pacman. I think it will pay off. We played it safe when we drafted Dyson instead of Moss and it didn't. Trading for Henry was a risk. There is also a risk that if we let KVB go we might not find a player of his caliber at LDE for years to come and have the dubious honor of drafting in the top 10 the next couple of years.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Jeff I agree on the risks of overpaying KVB. So you think someone will come along and throw the big Swiss bank account at him like Philly did with Kearse? Kearse had more of a track record, but I guess if you look at "what have you done for me lately", KVB wins out the year before that contract.

10. TitanJeff

I don't think he'll see anything close to Kearse money but a team needing one or two pieces of the puzzle in order to have a big season may be willing to do more than the Titans can (or are willing to do) right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar