Our DEs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I know talking about your Defensive Line after playing the Taxans is a bit like bragging about your driving distance after playing a whole round from the Women's tees, but is DE a priority for us this offseason, given that we had 6 sacks today?

Two years ago, we drafted 3 DEs to address the loss of Kearse and the impending loss of Carter, and this offseason we added a free-agent who is leading the league in sacks. But, presuming we resign KVB, are our DEs strong enough to get us back to the playoffs?

2. ezeblazin

ezeblazin Starter

I'm not impressed wit Odom, I thought he'd have a monster year. But Travis is playing pretty good. I think were OK at DE.

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

If KVB stays, I'd look elsewhere in the draft and free agency....but if he goes....yikes :hmm:

4. Nine

Nine Starter

LaBoy has definitely stepped up the last few weeks...not only has he been getting consistent pressure on the QB, but he's made a number of solid stops against the run, also. He's a keeper.

After his amazing preseason, I figured Odom would have a huge year...alas, 'twas not to be. However, it's not unusual for DE's to need a couple of years to develop. He's looked a lot stronger this year than he did as a rookie...if he can just step it up again next year, he could be quite a presence. (Look at Rien Long...he was absolutely dismal as a rookie, improved somewhat last year, and has been very solid this year. Hopefully we'll see Odom follow suit.)

Honestly, I expected a lot more from Schobel this year. I seem to recall he had some injury issues early in the season...not sure if he's still playing hurt, but he's been inactive for much of the year, and when he did get onto the field, he was largely invisible.

I think the Titans will make every attempt to lock down KVB before they even look at anyone else on the FA market. Vanden Bosch is definitely a difference maker, and his style of play inspires the rest of the line to play harder just to keep up with him. I can't see them letting him go in free agency unless another team is willing to overpay badly.

5. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

I have a feeling that KVB will stick around, he comes off as a guy who wont bite the hand that feeds him. As for the others, LaBoy has been okay as a situational guy and Odom hasn't impressed like we all thought he would. By the way, whats up with Bo Shobel? I havn't heard his name called in ages, I guess they gave up? Anyways, I think we'll probably grab a DE in the middle rounds. Regarding your question on if they're strong enough to get us back to the play-offs, sure, but someone has to step up along side KVB.

6. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

We had better hope that the Titans step up to the plate and re-sign KVB. Without KVB back, the Titans will be in a world of trouble on defense.

Odom has run out of gas midway through the season, two years in a row. I would hope the Titans rework his workout regimen to build up his stamina.

7. Tightans

Tightans Guest

"but is DE a priority for us this offseason, given that we had 6 sacks today?"

I would be happy if it was a team that had over 1 win in the entire season (including pre-season) It is any given Sunday, but It was the Texans!

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

No DE is not a priority IF we can keep KVB. If not there are a couple of real good looking DEs we need to consider drafting with our #1 pick. Thats what makes keeping KVB such a priority. We can spend the draft pick on another position like Hawk.

Think about the positive side if we can keep KVB. Right now we have a pro-bowl caliber DT in Haynesworth, a pro-bowl caliber OLB in Bulluck and a pro-bowl caliber DE in KVB. Our CBs are starting to look real solid and they are only rookies. By signing KVB and shoring up our LBs and Ss we could be have a pretty stout defense next year.

9. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Something to think about

The only reason he is able to get into the back field is because of the double teaming of KVB. If KVB wasn't there, I believe LaBoy would be non exsistant.
    ________
    LAND ROVER LRX

10. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

Right now I hang with Odom till next year. He is very strong and has freakish athleticism. He reminds me of Jovon Kearse, except that he is a bit slower. I say we really focus on his technique, make him do somemore strength training, and try to get him a bit quicker. That in mind we should draft Manny Lawson from N.C. State, he is underrated because he plays on the other side of Mario Williams. But he is a pretty good player, long and athletic some says he is a potential Jason Taylor. He would be a nice backup guy in case Odom doesn't go as planned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar