Our defense stinks, and Chuck Cecil is to blame

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by murrykline, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murrykline

murrykline Starter

There --- I said it.

I do not want to here this bend but don't break BS. Giving up 350+yds passing a game is not a defensive plan. Being #1 in the red zone equals a bunch of awful offensive plays by the other teams ( You know you have watched the same games as I have) ....Racking up sacks in "junk time" does not mean your are #1 in that either.

To decide to cover Gates with just Griff ...over and over..and over again, and then top that off with Witherspoon man for man? ........If you made these decisions at your place of employment, you would be spending a lot of time in the HR office and/or unemployment line.

With no deep threat on the Chargers, we proceed to allow them to check down to Sporles at will? With no one within 6 yards of him?

24 hours later and I still cannot figure out how Fisher did not go down and take the headset away from him.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Six out of our eight games have been against top 10 offenses. We've won four of them.

We were 2-6 at this point last year with the 32nd ranked defense. Be grateful.

Our defense is #1 in INTs. Look at the positives before you come with garbage like this.

Can improvements be made? Absolutely. They need to. But it's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

They may not be quite as good as advertised but our defense is not bad by any stretch of the imagination. They just had a bad day. You have to remember that was the #1 offense in the league we faced yesterday. Don't let their record fool you.

I agree that the defense lost us the game. But let's not get carried away.

4. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as to make a post like this but...

That defensive effort was pretty bad. We were continuously burned by the same issues: Griff 1 on 1 with Gates, not guarding the flats, etc. It's a bit alarming that we never really adjusted. The only reason we got the stops at the end was because they got conservative.

I don't really think this surprises any of us. I believe most of us expected a pretty porous pass D and that's what we've seen. We just have to get pressure.

5. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

One bad game and people freak out...Against the best offense in the league none the less. Lol.

6. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

I actually think there has been a steady flow of complaints despite our winning. We've all been a bit irked by our dependence on redzone turnovers, offensive errors, etc.

I agree though. There's no reason to jump ship.

7. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

you also have to remember that the offense's inability to convert third downs (passing game stopped working as well) caused the defense to have to be on the field something like 3/4 of the second half

I know at least that the 3rd quarter we had the ball for only 3 minutes for like 2 or 3 or 4 drives while the Chargers had it for 12

8. NYCTitanfan84

NYCTitanfan84 Special Teams Standout

Exactly. Now I wouldnt go as far as the original poster..but I honestly think our defense has issues. And we need to sure that up we'll continue to be exploited in the passing game. If you keep "bending" your going to eventually break..and thats what happened against the chargers. Cant keep hoping for that key pick..or fumble so we can ignore the fact the defense gave up 400yrds..we really need to tighten things up

9. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

Yeah, that's something I was also very dissappointed about. It's also something that I don't think we've addressed enough.

Regardless though, I don't think the D was gonna be stopping them fresh or not. I had hoped that we would either get a lot of QB pressure or win a shoot-out :\.

10. therealtrueblue

therealtrueblue Camp Fodder

in a sense i agree and in a sense i dont. i think our D lacks a true plamaker in the front 7 and that hurts alot, cortlands coverage hasnt been very good this season IMO, and overall we just need to do a better job with our schemes but.... our D has overachieved this year IMO. babin and ball have seemingly become top flight passrushers out of nowhere, will witherspoon has done a suprisingly good job filling in for bulluck, jason jones hasnt got hurt yet, verner looks like a future pro bowler, and griffen has looked like the ball hawk we all know and love. so im not going to complain about our D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar