Our 2008 wideout class

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jul 6, 2008.

?

Grade the 08 Wideout class

Poll closed Jul 16, 2008.
  1. An A. They look solid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B. Some more work, but these guys are good.

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. C. These guys are 50/50. Nothing proven.

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  4. D.

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. F. Throw in the towel on this class.

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

I hoping that this is Brandon Jones' breakout year. Gooooo B. Jeezy.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

He's had enough chances. This is his make or break year.

3. reo

reo Starter

why put him on IR? He's an FA after this season if i'm not mistaken. You going to extend a guy that's coming off an injury that kept him out all offseason and all season? If they thought that much of him, they'd have extended him already. why even play out the year? If they really like him then he'll be PUP'd. If they think the other guys have as much if not more potential then he'll be cut.

now this i agree with. imo Davis is practically in competition w/ himself to make the roster b/c if he shows enough that it makes it hard to cut him then they'll keep 7 WRs. If he doesn't then we keep 6.

I think jones is gone via release or trade. If he drops down below 3rd then he's dropping off the roster imo and i think he's already dropped down that far. It just depends on if he can gain some ground in camp.

i'm not a RW fan as about everyone probably knows but imo what they do w/ him will show how they really feel about the WRs. If they PUP him then they're afraid to lose him b/c they don't trust the other guys but if they out right release him then it means they really like what they've got.

4. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

^Good point, but I'm sure money plays a factor into when we release him.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I still can't believe that Mike Williams, Paul Williams, AND Ealy would somehow all make the team over Jones, and that's even with Roydell getting PUP'd. If Roydell recovers in time, he's on the team, and I have few doubts that Jones will make it as well. If I were Paul Williams, I'd be pretty darn worried right about now.

6. reo

reo Starter

Personally, I'm not sure how anyone can believe Jones has a decent shot at all. Right now we're looking at Gage and J-Mac as the starters w/ Ealy getting snaps w/ the 1st team in the slot. That means Jones is behind already. The odds on favorite to make a training camp push would be Mike Williams just b/c of how hard he's worked up to this point w/ Paul Williams next in line but a little further behind b/c of his raw ability.

Jones' main problem is consistency. Its the main thing he needs to show in order to stick around but how do you prove that you can be consistent? You do it by going out there in games and being consistent but he'd need playing time to do that which he's not getting. I just don't see how he can prove that he's consistent during camp and if he can't then he's not going to be the starter. Its a bit of a circular problem for him. He needs to be a starter to show that he's consistent but he needs to show he's consistent to be a starter. Not gonna happen imo.

And since he's going to be an FA next year, if he drops to 4th or 5th on the depth chart and never plays can you resign him next year? Will he be able to show enough to warrent that extension as a bench guy? Probably not so imo go ahead and let him go (or ideally trade him) in order to give 1 or both of the 2nd year guys, guys that haven't had anywhere near as much time to show what they can do, a shot.

Roydell at this point isn't even in the conversation.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Are you basing this only on OTAs? It's rarely a good indication of what ends up being the combination when the season starts.

These are two guys which hasn't shown squat yet. MW may be 30 pounds lighter but it doesn't make him in the shape he needs to be. If you believe reports, that's still the problem. As for PW, has he shown anything yet when it counted?

By making the most of his opportunities. He has to show he can be counted on when his number is called. It doesn't matter if he's taking snaps with the first team or third. If he catches everything he should, he'll rise in the depth chart when it counts.

He has to get healthy. It's scary that he doesn't appear close and camp is two weeks away.

I honestly hope the WR battle is the best we've ever seen. But no way am I counting on anything beyond Gage as a starter right now.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i could see him hitting FA after the season and not getting many offers and coming back. if he's PUPed we'd still have to pay his salary if we release him after opening day, so we're stuck with his final year's contract any way you look at it. if we keep him all season and let him rehab, we will have a first hand look at how he's progressing, something other teams won't have when he hits the market.

9. reo

reo Starter

Its rarely an indication of how it'll end up but that's just b/c players will progress and get chances to show more in camp but its still a decent sign of where guys are now and right now Gage and J-Mac are the starters w/ Ealy in the slot. Having Gage (2nd year w/ the team), J-Mac (1st year back) and Ealy (2nd year undrafted) ahead of Jones is not a good sign for Jones. Do you disagree that his main problem is consistency? Do you disagree that it'll be hard for him to show consistency w/o getting on the field?

That leaves Mike Williams, Paul Williams and Davis as guys that could make a push. Out of those 3, Mike Williams seems to be the mostly likely to make that push. He's worked really hard so far and lost 30 lbs in a very small amount of time (VERY hard to do). Everyone's seen the numerous articles that have been written about him but to add on top of that everyone that i've talked to that have actually seen him out there have been raving about him. imo the talk about him not being in good enough shape to run more than a couple plays in a row is just fisher trying to keep him motivated and working hard. i mean seriously... he's worked hard enough to lose 30 lbs and he's been working out w/ the team ever since. its possible but not probable that he could still be in bad shape.

PW would be the next in line and sure he hasn't shown much to US but that doesn't mean anything. He's been making plays and showing his ability in practice from what i've been told and from what i've read. He's been making some really tough catches and going up for balls in traffic. He's not shown consistency in practice but he's just a 2nd year guy that was a project to begin with. I just can't see them keeping Jones (for the above mentioned reasons) and cutting a 2nd year guy that has that much ability w/o giving him time to show it.

Davis, as I said before, is imo pretty much fighting himself for a spot b/c if they want to keep him they'll keep 7 WRs but if they don't then they'll kee 6. I'm afraid Hawkins might take his spot though. He'll need a really good camp.

10. reo

reo Starter

Can you seriously see us spending the money to extend a guy that's had 1 average season since he's been here, especially if other step up this season like they should? imo its time to move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar