Other Camp Battles

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

my top 5 (in no particular order) position battles that I will be keeping an eye on this year, plus my expectations from those battles:

QB - I don't think I can say anything on this camp battle that hasn't already been discussed

C - This battle will be very interesting just because I am REALLY hoping that someone can beat out Awomano for the starting spot, but, with the lack of experience we have behind him, I think we will all be very disappointed in the final results (i.e. Amano still starting) Hopefully this position gets addressed properly next off-season.

LB - This one should be a good battle. 'Spoon vs. Brown. I am excited to see what Brown can bring on the field, but I doubt he beats 'Spoon out 100%. My guess is they will be splitting time at the beginning of the season depending on the game situations, with 'Spoon considered the "starter". Brown may completely take over the spot mid to late season.
    DT - Marks and Smith haven't really lived up to the hype, and we have a very talented young guy in Martin coming in to battle. I would not be surprised to see Martin over take both of them very quickly in camp. It will also be interesting to see how they fit him in with Klug/Casey ... who will be the starters, and who rotates in. My guess is that the day 1 starters will be Casey/Martin. But that could change if Klug shows any progress in his run game defense. In either case, all 3 should get ample playing time.
    On the flip side of this battle will be who gets the axe. Marks and Smith are definitely on the chopping block, but I think in the end only Marks will get cut. Smith has only had 1 year in the system so they may give him another year to adjust.

CB - Even though it is just for the #3 CB spot, this will probably be one of the most interesting battle in camp ... maybe even rivaling the QB battle. There is a lot of young talent at the position, and this spot is completely up for grabs. The winner will likely get a ton of PT as well. I would say that the front runners right now are Hawkins and Campbell with Hawkins having the edge. Hawkins looked good in limited playing time last year, so I am excited to see what he can bring if given an opportunity. Campbell on the other hand is a freak of an athlete, and seems to be coming in ready to work his butt off and compete, and has already gotten the coaches attention. I really see Campbell's attitude permeating throughout the young group of CBs however, sparking some intense competition ... which will only be good for everyone.
    Mouton probably gets cut.

Here are my top 5 players I will be keeping my eye on that are not involved in a position battle (no particular order)
    Thompson - Thompson is a very intriguing prospect, one that I hope can be a real weapon in the future. I will be very interested to see where he stands talent wise as a TE right now, and how much he can progress while actually getting some PT at that position throughout camp. Due to his inexperience at the TE position though, I see him being more of a project and not ready to make a strong push for a starting spot this early on. I think this could end up being a very good position battle next year though.
    Wright - I would say he is almost a lock for a #2 or #3 spot (depending on the whole Britt situation), and I think all the receivers from last year will stick (Britt, Nate, Hawk, DW, MM) so I don't see this being much of a battle. But I am VERY excited to see this guy get out on the field and see what he can do.
    Wimbley - Again, not much of a battle since he is basically guaranteed the top spot, but he was our #1 FA acquisition in one of our weakest areas. I can't wait to see the talent/leadership he brings to that position.

CJ - I know there are a lot of CJ haters out there right now, but I am very optimistic about him this year. I really think this guy wants to be the best, and is willing to work for it. All the talent is there, so I think he could be in for a good season.
    Britt/Morgan - Can they overcome there injury history and finally play like we envisioned when they were drafted?

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Well I am excited to see how our receiver line up will look. Think we bring anybody in?

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well Plaxico Burress is still available.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Ha

See the other thread. Thats pretty funny.

5. JCBRAVE

Other free agent receivers we could look at

Patrick Crayton
    Braylon Edwards
    Anthony Gonzalez
    Malcolm Kelly
    Limas Sweed
    Chansi Stuckey
    Mike Sims-Walker
    Terrell Owens
    Kassim Osgood

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I thought Sweed was signed?

We could always see what Pitt wants for Wallace as well. But I think I would rather save the pick and money.

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Crayton has always been solid, he'd be worth a minimum contract. TO also wouldn't be too bad, who am I kidding, he's done.

8. JCBRAVE

We might be better off sticking with the guys we have now and not adding anyone. Kenny wont be cut or lost for the year.

No one on that list excites me. They all have little to offer, and would take reps away from our young guys. The only one worth anything i'd say would be Mike Sims-Walker

Current WR's
    Kenny Britt
    Kendall Wright
    Nate Washington
    Damian Williams
    Lavelle Hawkins
    Marc Mariani
    Devin Aguilar
    Chase Deadder
    LaQuintin Evans
    James Kirkendoll
    OJ Murdock
    Michael Preston
    DJ Woods

Thats 13 WR's!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar