Opinions on Fisher

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dgood, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

I meant that last year's team was rightly viewed as a 2-14 type team, based on the roster. A team that was 4-12 in 2005 with a good, veteran QB (albeit injured) now relying on a raw rookie is not ordinarily a recipe for 8-8, even with the FA acquisitions, none of whom were considered stars. We had a 2-14 outlook in 2006.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

And look at the opposite. Skins, Cards, Fins, Raydahs, Vikes and the list goes on.

Not to put words in your mouth but this doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of Fisher. You sound as if anyone could do as well if not better.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff...

Give me an example of a coach who took a team and needed 3-4 years to be good. Jon fox is another example of a guy who in just his second year won, he went to the super bowl.

The examples you used don't prove much.. Where is the young unproven coach that needs time to win?

1. Cards, always bad hired a vet coach with at the time a better winning percentage than fisher. Green despite his failures in three bad seasons there still has 8 winning seasons in 11 years while fisher has 4 in 12. Wasn't the cards hiring of green exactly what you would suggest jeff? A proven vet not an unproven younger coach?

2. Miami, saban was there just 2 years and didn't have a QB either year. Hard to say if he could have succeeded or not..

3. Raiders, how does that situation compare to anybody, al davis is a moron.

4. Redskins, again they hired a known commodity a hall of fame coach. They did the safe thing so how does that apply?

Jeff your whole argument in support of fisher is that he has been around and we at least know he can win. Wasn't that true of dennis green and joe gibbs? So why are they examples?

There is no proof that a younger unproven head coach is more likely to fail or needs more time to succeed.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Flying blind, a new coach..

The benefits of experience?

New unproven coaches in 06.. Allegedly clueless..?

Mccarthy, packers. From 4-12 to 8-8..+4

Kubiak texans, From 2-14 to to 6-10..+4

Payton saints, from 3-13 to 10-6....+7

Marinelli lions, from 5-11 to 3-13.....-2

Mangini jets, from 4-12 to 10-6......+6

Net gain 19 wins an average of 3.8 per coach!

Old vet coaches in 06 10 years+.

Fisher-8-8

Couglin 8-8

Green 5-11

Gibbs 5-11

Parcells 9-7

cowher-8-8

Dungy -12-4

Note that all the new coaches took over for a guy who had been a round a while. Mike sherman had a great record at green bay, dom capers has been to an nfl championship game and herm edwards is a good coach right?

Jeff, want to cease and desist or contunue losing this argument?

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What is with the 2-14?

We were never 2-14!

Fisher's losing seasons were 7-9(95), 7-9(01), 5-11(04), 4-12(05).

Gloat makes a good point though. We went from 12-4 and perhaps the second best team in the league to 5-11 and then 4-12. Does that matter or do we only consider the seasons when we improve from the last?

6. TitanJeff

I used Spurrier and Saban as examples a few posts back. Both were considered can't miss by most and fell flat on their faces.

I didn't say hiring a young coach is any better or worse than a retread. Change isn't always the best thing to do if you think your team is headed in the right direction.

I thought you told me great coaches could turn it around in a season or two. I bet the folks in Miami might disagree.

:truedat:

Again, I am not for bringing in a vet coach either as long as Fisher is moving this team forward.

Getting creative using the red, eh? ;)

If Fisher had gone 5-11 last year, things would be different, wouldn't they? It's about the direction of the team, IMO. If he goes 5-11 this season, I think change is needed.

And I ask you the same thing I did back at the beginning. If not Fisher, who?

7. TitanJeff

As if one year's worth of data proves anything.

Again, you've assumed something. I am not for replacing Fisher with a vet coach no more than I am a young guy. If given the choice, I would probably take a up-and-coming coodinator with NFL experience over a successful college guy or a retread.

To me, it's about the direction of the team. If Fisher keeps the Titans on the rise, he is doing well. If we have a setback this year, I'm ready to see him go even if it takes a couple of more seasons to get back.

8. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

How many coaches would be able to hold a 12-4 record after losing six starters for cap reasons including the #1 WR and the #1 CB? Fisher cannot get all the blame for that drop-off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar