Opinions on Fisher

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dgood, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

yea about being conservative i posted that earlier, we had like 4 games that we lost by a touchdown or less, the ravens game we were up 26-7 and lost 26-27, but you cant blame only fisher on that.

2. He's a good coach for the titans, for now. Honestly though, he's as good as we're gonna get for now. The titans are gonna get better and as they get better, I believe that the organisation will make a good decision on whether to go for a proven coach who can take the titans to the super bowl or stick with Fisher...

3. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

The people saying Fisher is too conservative are obviously forgetting our second game against the Colts in '04. The game that we started with four onside kicks. It put us up at a 24-0 lead, but then we went with normal strategy and ended up losing, I'm guessing the offense couldn't keep it up. How many coaches would be willing to do that? I'm guessing he just hasn't felt like he had the talent to really get creative for the last few years.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

on the surface that may be true

but once you start to research you find some startling things
    there are some things that bring pause
    consistencey and focus for one
    we have (for the most part) concurred that he had lost control of the team later in the season for a few years. ..... and you might even be able to include last year as well despite the strong finish
    looking at the final game against New England we saw a team with control of its own destiny fall flat damn near across the board - and that happened on more than one occasion last year

I'm not sure you can give all the credit to coaching for individual efforts
    (Jax@ Home, "The Kick" or "The OT TD) for instance

It was a miracle that this team finished 8-8. aside from a few miraculous efforts by INDIVIDUALS on their own accord, the season could have very easily been 5-11

I'm still concerned with the overal philosophy
    including but not necessarily limited to :
    behavior control
    player development
    favoritism of players with disregard to ability
    favoritism of coaching staff with disregard to ability
    3rd Down Conversions
    Rush D
    Pass D
    Passing Offense

these are legitimate concerns

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Oh, you mean the game that was a total joke so we pulled craziness out of our arses because we thought it was impossible that we'd compete if we played in normal fashion?
    "Fisher-Ball". That term is popular for a reason. Trying to win by a fieldgoal going in to halftime.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff...

I'm not advocating firing the guy at all. The team accomplished enough in 06 for him to keep his job. That's about all though..

As far as "starting over" with a new young coach? You mean having to suffer the hell the saints and jets had to go through with their new coaches? You mean like that? Houston went from 2-14 to 6-10 with their new younger guy. You mean like that?

There are many good coaches out there that can coach a football team successfully. They just need a chance. Can we honestly say that greg williams couldn't have given us a 17-31 record the last 3 seasons just as fisher has? Any average coach could have given us that right?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Well said gloat...

Fisher knew we could not stop their offense so we just used on sides kicks rather than give them the ball..

Still a good move by fisher and a well coached game in my opinion..

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Am I to assume then you don't extend Fisher until he proves something THIS season?

You know football well enough to know the Saints were the exception and not the norm when it comes to new coaches. On the most part, teams with first year coaches rarely are successful their first year.

Names? And how can you know they won't be the next Spurrier or Saban?

Who knows? All we can see is Williams' failure at Buffalo. He isn't exactly lighting it up in Washington either.

The Titans should be close to making a string of runs. Are you willing to miss that opportunity because the next guy they bring in is worse? Are you willing to give up on the season most teams need to adjust to a new scheme?

I have my issues with Fisher but we know he has the ability to take a team to the Super Bowl.

9. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

I think Fisher is a good coach. I firmly believe he will be a lot less conservative when he starts trusting in Vince. Should happen sometime next season.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Hello jeff...

I didn't just use the saints as an example i also used the jets and the improvement of the texans. Basically there is no evidence that a new coach in his first nfl head coaching job automatically will do worse than the more experienced guy they replace.

I didn't advocate that we hire williams to be our coach just that he could have done the same thing with this team fisher did. Williams was 17-31 in 3 seasons with the bills fisher is 17-31 his last 3 years. That was my point is that an average coach could have done the same.

As far as a long term deal for fisher it is not my money. I would rather wait until we see what next season brings us but i won't complain if they do sign him to a long term deal..

Again jeff you are responding to me as if i'm promoting the idea of firing fisher. I have not..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar