Rumor Opinion: Team for Sale?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

That's an interesting angle, and could very well be what's going on. Something like a high-yield mutual fund with conditions to be met before they can cash in.

2. brian82

brian82 Rookie

lets put this in to context, the titans aren't as profitable as you think, Manchester United's profits are alot more than the titans and are worth over 3 billion dollars, the come from a country which can fit in the state of Alabama, so imagine how small Manchester actually is in comparison to a city in the US. You said the NFL is like a licence to print money , yeah for bigger teams not for the titans, I can pretty much bet half the teams in the English Premiership make more money than the titans and there fan base is a lot lot less.

3. Bonky

I understand that you disagree with me, and that's fine. I'd like for you to show me where I stated what you claim, though.

One thing more: Are you claiming that Manchester United's fans are restricted to Manchester's city limits?

4. Bonky

Ok, so rather than respond to anything I posted with an opposing viewpoint you'd like to change the subject to soccer?

How about citing some examples of NFL franchises that have been sold or moved, and we keep this discussion on topic.

5. Bonky

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. brian82

brian82 Rookie

"turnkey money making investments". The profits of the titans are profits, nothing a future owner would be excited about. The titans need a lot of investment which wont be cheap and anyone buying the titans would reflect that in the purchase price.

Chelsea fc was bought for just over a dollar, with investment was sold for 86 million dollars and with further investment is now worth over a billion dollars and profits of around 85 million dollars.

going back to my first ever point in this discussion, the titans are only worth however much someone is willing to pay as its going to take a lot of capital to get the titans where the fans want them to be.

No, Manchester united aren't restricted to just the city limits, they have managed to build a world fan base through hard work. Though smaller teams which make more profit than the titans don't have Tha luxury and don't have as many fans as the titans.

7. Bonky

"You said the NFL is like a licence to print money"

Show me where I stated that.

Also, check out the link I posted to the NFL bylaws. It explains how they are a joint venture of 32 entities that share profits with each other, and might give you some insight into how it actually works.

Nothing happens regarding ownership of a single franchise without the approval of the other members. There's a reason that teams retain a high value: the joint partners keep it that way. They all have skin in the game, and won't allow a rogue owner to crash the value of the other 31 ownerships.

They're all billionaires for a reason.

8. brian82

brian82 Rookie

This is the problem about getting a new owner the majority of those billionaires are family's who have owned there teams for a very long time, the last 3 teams to have been bought have barely broken even so someone to pay over a billion for a team wouldn't be worth it for them as it would probably take a lot of years to reclaim that money back, so people who buy in to the franchises are hobbyists, they will look at the price of the team and what investment they need to put in to it and the titans at the moment wouldn't be sustainable if the price was high.

9. Bonky

I think we finally have found some common ground. The type of investors who would be considered are likely to be hobbyists, fans or whatever you might call them.

Simply having money to buy a team doesn't mean that I could do so, however. Take the time to read the bylaws. The NFL is a very exclusive club for a select few wealthy people. Not just anyone can get in, no matter how much money they might have.

10. brian82

brian82 Rookie

I do like the fact the NFL has been salary capped and so on, the problem is the consortium of owners have monopolised the game. Other threads have said it should only take a short period to turn a team around if that's the case why haven't the titans been to a super bowl for 16 years. But with all these restrictions it has now made it that a person buying in to a team isn't buying a business because of how long it would take to see a return, the only way they would see any profit is buying a team for a reasonable price. The question is how many people would spend that amount just to say they own a team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar