Olympics 2021!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Dangermode, Jul 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Did you even watch it? It was the first vault of the first apparatus in a team competition. She admitted she withdrew because she couldn’t trust herself and didn’t want to screw up the team’s chances to medal.

So you push through even though you likely kill the chances for your team to medal and possibly risk your future health?

As a top athlete who knows herself extremely well due to years of training and successful outcomes, she made the tough decision for what was best for her and the team she cared for.

That’s the opposite of “soft” in my book. That’s the total opposite.

2. TitanJeff

She won that opportunity through her performance. It’s not like she knew she’d need to withdraw before the moment it happened.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

fair enough

and just read the news about it.

have not watched a second of olympics

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I remember ripping on Dan Jansen for falling all over the place in the olympics back in the day...

I in fact do expect more from US athletes

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

Certainly, if I’m getting your gist, we (meaning you and me), wouldn’t want her in our foxhole. I agree if that’s your round about argument.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

That has nothing to do with withdrawing from "mental health" issues as it was reported. This stuff came out second wave when she got heat for the Mental Health platform quitting.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. TitanJeff

Actually, no it didn’t. Listen to the audio as she talks to her coach right after it happened.

She tells her coach she isn’t trusting herself. Her eyes coming out of that flip says she was totally lost in the air.

Obviously, when an athlete can’t perform and is 100% physically healthy, it becomes a “mental health” issue. Whether it’s pressure of the moment or something else, her mind wasn’t allowing her body to perform.

In this case, pushing forward can lead to a serious injury or death.

BTW, she had the same issue during warmups and tried to push through during the program. Based on her last few performances, I bet she’s been dealing with it for some time.

8. Riverman

Actually she did claim mental health.

Read What Simone Biles Said After Her Withdrawal From The Olympic Final

I’m okay to disagree. Not worth debating. It’s quitting in my book. She initially used the mental health issue, now it’s physical. But she did initially choose to utilize a mental health platform.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. TitanJeff

Who ever said it was physical? She never did. I haven't. And I haven't read of anyone else saying it was physical.

It's clearly a mental health issue. Whether just stress or other reasons, it's causing a disconnect between her mind and her body. She could not trust herself to perform at a high level and has admitted as much multiple times.

Instead of risking her personal safety or killing the chance for her teammates to medal, she made the right decision to withdraw.

We'll agree to disagree whether her, or her decision, was "soft".

10. Riverman

OK.

But that sort of “decision” should’ve been made before she took up a slot the team and then came up leaving her team and country short handed in the competition. It’s not like these moves weren’t practiced.

and it’s no coincidence all this mental health surfaced AFTER she received scores with which she wasn’t satisfied.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar