Old Titans vs. New Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanBlazer, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanBlazer

TitanBlazer Starter

Based off pure talent alone which 4 headed monster do you prefer? Lets say they are all the same age and maturity level and you needed to pick one group for a must win game. Who do you take?

McNair
    George
    Mason
    Wycheck

or

Young
    Johnson
    Britt
    Scaife

This is harder for me than I thought it would be. Top to bottom I'd take the OLD but I think Johnson and Britt will ultimately end up having better career's than George and Mason.

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

At this point? The answer is easy - the old.

Down the line/forecasting? Who knows.

3. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I'm going with the new. If our team ran a west coast style offense we would be unstoppable.

4. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Starter

I'm going with the new because we know the old never won a super bowl.

5. pettso

pettso Starter

If you're judging potential, the new have the edge.

The old in their prime are better players than the new currently though. Hopefully the new guys in their prime outperform the old guys though.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If you look at those old players at the years in which we are judging the new, it's an interesting comparison.

In '99, McNair was entering his fifth season and ended with 2,179 passing yards out for five games. Of course, he took the Titans to the Super Bowl at the end of it. I have to give him the edge over Young at the same point in their careers but it's debatable.

Mason had 25 receptions for 333 yards and three TDs. Britt already has 434 and seven TDs. He'll blow away Mason's numbers. Huge edge to Kenny.

Same for CJ. Eddie had 1,294 yards his third season and 310 receiving. Closer but gotta give CJ the edge.

Wycheck in year six had 768 yards. His career best. Scaife has 179 so far so it looks like Frank gets a big edge here.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

What makes this an easy decision for me is the QB & TE. McNair was amazing, Young could be, but isn't. And Wycheck, well he's 10X the TE Bo Scaife is or ever could be. Therefor I''m picking the old Titans. I've always hated the Titans offense until last November when Vince and C.J. blew up, but at the end of the day it comes down to execution. McNair, George, Wycheck, and Mason executed beautifully all the time. And for that, I'm going with the proven group. I know they didn't win themselves a title, but they've come a lot closer than the new team has.

9. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

There is no way i could ever go against McNair. I love the team we have now, but McNair was just a warrior. Also, Eddie George is someone i want to go to battle for me. I'm not saying George over Johnson, but i loved George's physical play.

Hard decision, but i'm going with the old school.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Using that rationale (and rationale in general) I would have to go with the old.
    That team went to the Super Bowl and this team has done squat.
    At their peak the old McNair Titans would whip this team's rear and hand it to them on a platter... Here's to hoping that changes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar