Olb?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I haven't been following the path to the draft that closely, and I almost never watch college football, so I am venturing into the draft forum to ask a question.

What are people's thoughts on the Titans taking an OLB with a high pick (I'm thinking round 1 or 2)?

I know everyone seems to want either a WR or a CB, and some experts are saying DL, but the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that it's time to replenish what has been a strong point for the Titans over the past several years. Bulluck and Thornton aren't getting any younger and it's frightening to think of what would happen if one of them tore an ACL early in the season.

Is this draft a good LB draft? From the few mocks that I've seen, there are a bunch of LBs expected to go in round 1. Who is a guy that the Titans might target, either early in the draft or in the later rounds?

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I would expect us to wait until later than round one, and probably later than round two. Tulloch can fill in at OLB if either of our staters goes down, and will probably be the longterm replacement for one of them. I could more likely see us going for depth, someone to develop over a couple of years.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Tyrone McKenzie from USF is my guy.

4. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

I've posted this before, but I can seriously see us drafting Clay Matthews Jr in round 1.

5. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I'm with you. Our previous two first round picks have been offensive. We will draft a defensive player in Chuck Cecil's first draft as our DC. I like the depth of this LB draft class. I see us getting one of the USC linebackers in the first, but it may make more sense to grab a "top knotch" DE since AH went for big bucks, who can blame him.

I've seen some mocks with us taking Johnson from GTech. Don't really like him too much, although drafting him could be the best move for two or three years down the road. I like the DT from Michigan (taking him in the 2-4; 2nd may be a reach, but we have been willing to reach for players we like/want the past few years), his name is slipping my mind, but he'd be a good player for depth then maybe a starting job two or three years down the road.

I'd love to see Reyrey of the USC LB core fall to us, but I doubt that happens. Some of the "pro-draft-analysts" have a lot of D-lineman going in the first round so it could happen if everything shakes out precisely.

6. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I think we need ILB before we do OLB. I'd love to get James Laurinaitis at 30, that would be a steal.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Michael Griffin was picked the year before Chris Johnson.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Your Buckeyes are showing.. He'll be long gone..

9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I've seen several mocks saying he could go to Detroit at 33, so I wouldn't say he'll be "long gone." Gone maybe but not "long gone."

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I think we need an ILB more than an OLB. As stated Tulloch can fill in at OLB if Bulluck or Thornton goes down. I think Keglar can make an impact on the team in a year or two. I do like the Clay Matthews pick but don't think Michael Johnson that DE from GT should be picked in the 1st. Pretty much, if a top 5 WR is available we'll pick a WR if not then it's wide open. With the emergence of our backups on the DL, unless there is someone the Titans really like, I don't think it's the biggest need. LB/CB are the top needs on defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar