OK This Titans WR Hate Has to Stop!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Eight Gov, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nine

Nine Starter

There's no question that everything hinges on Vince improving. That said, I wouldn't underestimate the impact of a guy like Heimerdinger, who has repeatedly groomed no-name WR's into Pro Bowl players.

Chow is obviously known as a QB guru; what people don't mention is that in his entire career, he never groomed a single WR who acheived significant success in the NFL. (He came close a couple times; Torry Holt left NC State the year before Chow arrived. NYG Steve Smith spent a year under Chow before spending the next two years under Lane Kiffin.)

Roydell Williams was openly critical of Chow's system, and spoke of how much more freedom WR's are given in Dinger's system. Justin McCareins, who has played for three different coaching staffs, spoke glowingly of Dinger's gift for fine-tuning WR's and showing them the little things that make a difference. (A statement that is strongly supported by Dinger's track record.)

I'm not trying to absolve Vince of any blame last year. He struggled every bit as much as the receivers did....and no matter what else happens, the offense is only going to be as good as the guy under center. But this thread isn't about Vince....it's about the WR's. ;)

With Dinger calling the shots, I think the WR's will be better equipped to help Vince out. He can show them the little things that turn average receivers into good receivers. How to use their bodies to shield defenders away from the ball, how to fight for the ball in the air, how to break up a possible interception when necessary....stuff that most NFL receivers do every week, but that the Titans' WR's weren't doing last year.

I'm just hoping to see Heimerdinger have an impact comparable to that of Dirk Koetter in Jacksonville last year. Before Koetter's arrival, Jag fans were ready to run David Garrard out of town on a rail; sixteen weeks later, they're trying to have the guy canonized....and with basically the same personnel they had in '06. Not to discredit Garrard's remarkable improvement, but Koetter obviously had an enormous impact on the Jags' offense, as well. Hopefully Dinger can do the same thing in Nashville this year.)

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I think Chow is some of it. His offense was so basic with Vince. Now with Dinger he'll be throwing alot more.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

How much are we willing to put this on Graves? He's the guy directly working with the WRs on their routes, hands, body position, etc.

I don't think we have world-beaters at WR but I can see them having significant improvement this season and people giving praise to the WRs when, in reality, it's only because Vince is hopefully better with his mechanics and reads.

Regardless, I think all can agree Dinger will be a significant upgrade and the pass game can go no where but up.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar