OK This Titans WR Hate Has to Stop!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Eight Gov, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

We have enough to get by. Nothing more, but we can hope for Colston after next season.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

"OK" is how you should begin the title of your post, and how you should end it too. Even the optimists can see the truth. Expect little, hope for the best.

3. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

idn.....im just keepin my fingers crossed....after last season...almost nything would be improvement...although a regression would be quite demoralizing ....not to mension downright embarrassing.

4. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

No real 'new' information in that article. I've neve really seen a reporte tell it quite like he did...an F- for a draft grade. Geeze. I don't know what the future holds, but it seems like if we could go 10-6 with what we've got, how dominant could we be with some real playmakers here?

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Although much of the article is somewhat accurate you would think Young was Brady or something the way he gushed over how he was one of the best QBs in the league. That is simply BS. Young's ints last year were not all the result of poor WRs but terrible decision making and accuracy. Much of that has to do with the fact Young still has a way to go in reading defenses and getting his footwork down which at times looks worse than a HS player.

On the flip side he says the WRs basically are crap but Gage and Williams both finished the season fairly strong and although these guys might not be Chad Johnson's I'd dare to bet if they had Manning or Brady throwing them the ball they both would be 1000+ yard WRs. We had an offense that was ultra conservative with a QB who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn half the time so we should try and be fair.

I can see why he isn't all that excited about McCariens but he missed the biggest wild card. Dinger. Certainly McCariens fits the offense better than Moulds and we have to expect the passing game to improve with VY being in his 3rd year and the OC having better schemes.

As for the draft I'd bet that if we drafted Hawkins in the 1st round (yes I said in the 1st) and kept the rest of the draft close to the same our draft grade would automatically have been higher. Sure people would be scratching their heads why of all the WRs available we took Hawkins in the 1st but just because we took a WR in the 1st everyone would think we finally found VY a player.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

:yes:

Vince is equally responsible for our poor passing game. Receivers need a consistent delivery to be able to predict how to adjust their position and body to bring the ball in. Vince has been anything but consistent with his mechanics- floating the nose, leading to far-too little and making guys go high over the middle. That all leads to drops from any receiver.

Our receivers aren't as terrible as the media portrays, just about average. I agree that Gage has potential, McCareins better (bwaha ha) days are over, Roydell Williams is done, Paul Williams is an underachiever, Mike Williams will continue to improve, Biren Ealy will be a decent #3 and Hawkins has potential to shine.

I can't wait to see the WR's in TC. Less that 10 days :woot:

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

On paper our WRs aren't real impressive but we do have some young guys with potential. We just have to hope at least one of the WRs who were rookies last year steps up, Gage performs even better than last year and Hawkins is a real sleeper. Still, until Young gets more consistent it is darn hard to even be able to rate how good or bad the WRs really are.

I do think McCariens can give us some production while we wait for some of these young guys to develop. The real hope is that one of these young guys surpasses McCariens before the season is over.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

As long as the WR's don't totally burst and have terrible seasons, I'm not worried. Gage is pretty good, R. Williams is hurt but will still play(hoperfully), J-Mac already know the system, and hoperfully someone from the rest of the WR core can step up. Maybe Ealy or Hawkins.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Our wide receiver's are above average?? Find me 16 teams that you think our 1st,2nd,and 3rd WRs are better than theirs.

Our WRs, at this point, are among the bottom 5 teams in the NFL.

Blame it on Vince, talk about their potential, whatever... but it's true. Our WR corps is among the WORST in the nfl. That is not above average.

Personally, I think the WRs get more of the blame last year. They couldn't get seperation, they had key drops, and when they had openings they couldn't even get to the endzone (Gage anyone).

And I'm not convinced you put Gage and McCareins on the colts and they are automatically 1000 yard receivers. I also don't think people would be satisfied had we drafted Hawkins in the first round. I think more people would be saying, "Why Hawkins"?

I liked this article and summary of the offseason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar