Official Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Which of the Titans free agents do we keep? What are the priorities for free agents we bring in? The draft? Etc.

2. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Priority #1- Sign Hayneworth to long-term contract.

Priority #2- Bring in real talent at the WR position so VY and this team can take the next step in each of their progressions.

3. TitanJeff

Does this cover everyone?

Gone
    Troupe
    C. Brown
    LaBoy
    Starks
    Gardner
    Moulds
    Nickey
    Loper
    Hill
    Hartsock

May get a couple of these guys back cheap but they'll hit the market March 1.

Keep
    Haynesworth
    Bell
    Odom
    Bironas
    Scaife
    Gage
    Fuller
    Hall

Retire
    Olson
    Hentrich

4. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Your assessment of who goes and who stays looks right to me, Jeff. However, I think Hartsock will be back and though Nickey is a very solid ST's player, he servers no other purpose and really can't play Safety for us, so I think he's a goner. Another point of interest is the Hentrich retirement. If he does, and I believe he will, we need to get a solid punter. People who talk about Fisherball being this and that should note that field position is critical for it and having a solid punter is key. Hentrich has been a great player for this franchise and a luxury, that if not adequately replaced, will sorely be missed.

5. TitanJeff

I like Hartsock as well but I put him in that group of players (like Hill) who don't deserve long-term deals, will hit the market, then probably come back for a one or two-year deal at the vet minimum plus incentives.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

what? no fire fisher posts yet?

7. TitanJeff

Another things to look at:

Will the Titans have the services of either Givens or Pacman? They may not get an answer for either until training camp which doesn't do much to help them in free agency or the draft.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Here's what I think about our own guys....

Troupe, I hate to say it, but it's over here.

I guess Chris Brown's injuries and costly fumbles have worn there welcome here. Guess we should try to find a better #3 RB....or #2 if Henry doesn't pan out.

I'd like to keep LaBoy if he's cheap. But with the concussions, it's a bit risky if he stays. Reward is worth more than the risk if he's affordable.

Starks is gone.

Gardner I think I'd keep. I imagine he plays for the vet minimum. He was pretty good on ST's and offers some decent LB depth.

Moulds is gone.

Nickey is gone. I don't think he's all that good on St's, and I worry if he ever has to get a lot of snaps again at S.

Loper I'd tender. I watched him close every time he's been in this year. He played well. He looks quick, and stronger than expected. The only plays he looked bad on were a few where it looked like just experience things where he may not have known who to block.

Hill....eeehhh. I want better CB depth, but he still may be fine as the #5 or 6 CB.

Hartsock stays. Excellent blocker, and this offense needs that.

Big Al = must have.

Bell = want to keep, but not a must. Good, but replacable. The Shark is his agent and he may think he's a top OG. I don't pay him like a top OG, hopefully he sticks around for a decent price.

Odom is still a bit iffy to me. Hasn't busted out till this year, but has still been a bit inconsistent. He's taken out a lot. I think he's not a really good run stuffer, but good pass rusher. I'd take him over LaBoy, and maybe even overpay a bit if LaBoy is gone....and I think it may come down to Odom vs LaBoy.

Bironas = keep.

Scaife = RFA right? Tender.

Gage I'd try to keep. Now if he gets a Bennett type offer, then I think that's too much. Don't think he gets that offer though.

Is Fuller a RFA? He's replacable, but does offer a little more value in that he can play a few positions. His play has been up and down imo.

Hall I'd definitely keep long term.

9. Loper will obviously be back as he is just a RFA. And Hartsock is a quality backup TE. Otherwise I'd agree with Jeff's list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar