Offical gardening thread...!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RollTide, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Anybody else love to garden out there? I have 120 plants in my space in the back yard and my father in law has about 180 in his with 11 fruit trees.

It's one of the best things you can do. A casual form of exercise, therapeutic and very healthy. And it forces you to eat more vegetables.

Anybody love yellow squash? I got them coming out of my ears.

Very rewarding to eat food that you yourself have grown and very environmentally sound.

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

I use to grow a vegetable garden most of the time. I stopped when I moved into my new place. I had a small garden with some cool weather crops growing. I came home from a week long backpacking trip and found the local cats had turned it into a litter box:grrr: After that I joined a local organic CSA farm and get my produce from them.
    This yr I did start growing some vegetables in containers on my patio. I should be getting my first tomato soon :yes:

I like the yellow crooked neck squash. Doesn't matter if it is raw, steamed or cooked in a casserole

3. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I have a wonderful beer garden in my garage fridge, if that counts....

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I've had gardens when I've lived elsewhere, but the soil is too rocky where I'm at now. You have to have a jackhammer after you get 3 inches below the surface.
    The time and expense of creating a raised garden is not worth it to me.

I do maintain a lot of potted plants. I have a peach tree and 2 blueberry bushes that do OK.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

My house property is way too hillside/rocky and is mostly wooded, but I do grow blueberries and blackberries on 10 acres I have in Peytonsville. Delicious!

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

RT, how do you get your squash to grow. This is the second year in a row that I've planted squash and zucchini, and the plants grew and flowered, but produced no fruit. Is it that I'm growing them in planters?

I have herbs coming out my ears. Sage, thyme, mint, rosemary, and basil. Mmmm...

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I'll be picking some 'matters probably next week, crooked neck squash any day now and have already started eating some jalapenos & onions. Nothing on the Harbarnaros yet though, not panicking yet though only need 1 or 2 harbaneros for the whole year.

8. Ewker

Ewker Starter

if you get more harbaneros than you need/want I will take some off your hands

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

two Harbarno plants, not one bloom yet. If they produce I will have many, many more than I need.

Picked 3 Jalapenos today - had one with my soup and sandwich here at work.

Definatly gonna pick that one 'matter tomorrow or saturday - lol

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I have a troy built bronco tiller and i get a real deep soft soil base to work with that the squash especially love. About a 1 foot base. I use bone meal as a dry fertilizer because i read somewhere that too much nitrogen will give you a great plant but no squash. Bone meal is almost pure phosporous.

I do use miracle grow every 2 weeks but no more often than that and i give them plenty of room, 2 feet apart. That and plenty of water is all i do but the deep soft base is the key to all my successful planting and the left over plant material from the previous year keeps it fertile.

If you don't have a heavy duty tiller a pike is a good way to break up the soil and keep out weeds. It's flat like hoe on one side with a spike on the other. It really breaks up and aerates the soil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar