Offense breakdown from coaches film

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Clark, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Thanks! A lot easier then me fast forwarding thru the game and with coach tape:)

One of the pressures I attributed to levitre was really Stewarts guy.

Things I saw that were good. We had one or more WR's open on all but 2 plays. Locker bought time on those 2 plays with a bit of scrambling and found a WR for a completion and first downs! Locker made some nice throws....especially zipping in a 15 yd out on 3rd and long and the seam pass to Walker with a defender underneath him and Polamalu just over the top.

Things that I saw that I didn't like. The OL gave up too much pressure on individual battles (not scheme or stunt breakdowns). We ran the same passing play late that we ran early and the Steelers were waiting for it (incompletion). Locker needs a better sense of the whole field. On one play, he rolled right and had 2 choices...DWill on a Post on Walker on and out and up. With DWill running at the FS (Troy was near the LOS and out of position), he should have read the FS who let DWill run right by him. Lead him 5 yards and it's a wide open TD. That's not to say a jump ball to Walker is a bad thing, but take the wide open guy over someone you THINK will get open. I am surprised we did not take advantage of the Steelers aggressiveness at the S position. Several times the deep middle S broke toward the LOS even before Jake threw the ball. A few times we had guys running deep who would have been wide open with a quick pump at an underneath wr. Granted the Steelers stopped some of those WR's deep by getting pressure on Jake...many times on the individual matchup between an OL and DL. Jake missed some throws but nothing too egregious.

If we protect him better (more of his incompletions were do to pressure in his face and he couldnt step up), he will have more success. Solid though unspectacular. Very good for a rookie who hasn't started a full year and has never faced the Steelers.

Any chance one of you guys wanna make a vid with all the run plays?

Gut

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

One more thing...

Turner did a better job later but he was having trouble with the bull rush. I think one of the pressures I attributed to Warmack may have been a unit gel thing because Turner took the MLB that blitzed leaving a big hole and Warmack reacted late to that guy penetrating thru that hole. That kind of thing will improve.

If I'm the Texans, I put JJ Watt over Turner 1v1 on the first 3rd and 10 and see how he does solo blocking him! Conversely, Titans need to give him a little help when a NT is right on top of him. One a couple of plays...Turner starts getting knocked back and then Levitre engages the defender and he is stoned! They may not execute like it yet, but I think by season's end we will have the best Guard combo in the entire NFL!!!

Another observation was that the titans tried to keep people in a shell even so much as to not have them help out at times to make sure we have a 'zone' of blockers in front of Locker. This meant no free rushers but led to some one on one battles that gave us some pressure anyway. I expect that to improve quite a bit!!!

Gut

• High Five High Five x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar