of Guys mocked to Titans in the 1st rnd...who do you not want

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titans2004, Apr 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Theres still some 43 DEs that just wont make great OLBs. Those 280lb 43 ends arent ideal candidates. Morgan even dumped a bunch of weight to make it all click. OLBs line up wider than 43 ends.

Rak also made the switch to OLB from DE really well but he was going into as an undersized DE

2. J Falk

J Falk Starter

I would argue that you don't want daquon Jones (or any of the other dts on our roster) on the field in most nickel situations. If thats the vision jr and vvrabel have, then so be it, but i don't see it. And even then, you're crazy if you don't think 34 is still the base defense. It all starts with stopping the run 1st still even in today's nfl.

So yes, a 34 dend, 3 tech, fat boy, whatever the hell you wanna call it, is still much more of a glaring need right now. If YGM was some can't miss prospect, id feel different about taking him in the 1st, but he's not that. Corner or DE/DT will be our 1st pick....id be shocked if JR went another route.

#32 J Falk, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  3. J Falk

J Falk Starter

I might agree more with your comp, i just named Derrick morgan because i was trying to think of the most mediocre 1st round pick we've ever made lol. I understand d Morgan was an ok player, but for where he was picked, he was supposed to produce alot more. I mean when you line up at dend and your main job is to get the passer and all you get is 6 sacks per year. That's the definition of underwhelming. Ok he was great in the run game. Awesome...i want my pass rushers to be great pass rushers. Sorry...just my preference.

Thats besides the point tho. I can see a jpp comp for this kid. Has the size, tools, etc. Does he have it all upstairs tho? Does he have the motor? I think this is a fair comp because jpp obviously has battled with those issues.

I think we could make worse picks, but i think we can make better picks too.

#33 J Falk, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  4. JCBRAVE

DEs play contain more than anything, which doesnt lead to big sack totals.

Morgan set the edge and pressured QBs. Sacks just didnt pile up for him like with JPP.

JPP had that little extra burst. Which I also see in YGM

5. J Falk

J Falk Starter

Dends play contain more than anything? You're telling me that derrick morgan was asked to contain the edge more than disrupt the play in the backfield/rush the passer? Idk about that one...i recall Derrick morgan trying hard af to get to the qb on most plays, but he was just never quite disruptive enough to get there.

Then we gave him a fat money bag and he had like 3 sacks after that. Yalls undying love for d morgan is impressive.

6. JCBRAVE

Yea 43 ends play contain more than most things they can do

7. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Uh oh, do I sense a friendship between Falk and Brave coming along?

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

[​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 2
  9. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

It's certainly a glaring need in terms of the position not being filled (none of us want to see Jack Crawford get significant snaps), but it's not nearly the same need in terms of roster and draft value.

A 3rd/nickel CB is going to play a lot more snaps, and a bad player in that position is going to be a much bigger liability than a DE who could end up playing only about 30% or fewer of the defensive snaps. We're much shallower at that position than anywhere else, and it's easily our biggest hole.

A lot of our nickel packages last year included Casey and Simmons as the only two DL's on the field, or even just 1 of them, with Evans coming down to the line sometimes, and Landry/Correa (and Roberson in the playoffs) coming off the edges.

And I'm actually OK with Jones playing more snaps in Casey's place as a run stuffer in a nickel set, where we're smaller everywhere else. He's always graded pretty well and is just a solid player. There's no one in the draft where we are that jumps up as someone who's game changing interior DL.

Now obviously, if we could get Clowney that would change everything. He could play either DE in base sets, then keep him and Simmons on the field in Nickel/Dime sets and move him all over the place as a chess peice. But as for the draft, there's other positions with far more value as far as the quality of prospects in the back end of the 1st.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. J Falk

J Falk Starter

I hear ya. I just like the idea of terrorizing teams in the trenches. Plus, corner is deep as hell this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar