Odom Wants to Stay in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

personally i trust KVB...an he siad sometin bout odem.....i cant remember the exact quote but it was something like at times he cant be stopped....now we hv money....there are no good fa's out there (at least that we need that badly) there are also no really good DEs out there....personally i thought about it..an odem really does hv a lot of potential...

i mean...lets face it....we might as well take a chance on him...an than simply focus on draftin a WR w/ the first. than possibly gettin DE depth w/ 2nd.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Make a deal for shaun rogers a 340lb DT and then sign mccray. With rogers here we can use brown outside on run downs and nobody will run on us.

Odom had one good season in his career in a contract year with an almost ideal situation. He had a monster at the other end that teams had to pay more attention to and he didn't have to play every down. He is not the caliber of player you franchise.

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Heard Bengals radio today - and they said they were very likely going after Odom and Starks..

4. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

thats smart for them....why would they have overpaid smith...when they could offer the same to odem an prob get him to sign....

btw since odem is a RFA...if another team does sign him we'd get a 2nd rounder for compensation right?

5. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

I thought he had to sign a qualifying tender for us to get picks.

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Odom is unrestricted so we'll receive no compensation from a team that signs him.

7. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I haven't read all the posts here, but, if Odom wants to stay here, it's simple, sign the contract. What's more important, money or where you play? Reckon we'll find out.
    If a player was playing for the Harlem 'Turd Bowls' and facing a multi-million dollar contact, he would be quoted as saying, "I like it here. My family likes it here. We want to stay, but its up to the FO." Fact is, everybody likes a place where they offer them millions to live there.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The proper quote from Odom should be:
    "I want to stay in Tennessee as long as I'm making comparable money to what other teams offer".

I really don't blame guys for going for the big bucks. Careers are short and you are always one injury away from having your career end. A good example is Givens. If his injury happened a year before he signs his big deal with the Titans he is millions of dollars poorer.

I do think the Titans should make Odom a reasonable offer but you just don't know if one team out there won't go crazy and make an offer that is ridiculous. In those cases you just have to let the guy go.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There is lots of "the grass it greener" mentality by fans this time of year. The Bengals want Odom. We see Justin Smith and his two sacks as a huge upgrade.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

The more I think about it, the more I want us to re-sign Odom longterm even if it's high cost.

I mean, if it's the highest contract for a DE of all-time, then ok, I let him walk. But if it's top10 of all-time, with the way the cap increases are, I think I sign him.

He was an early draft pick for us, and has at least had one great season. That's more than a lot of early draft picks have done for us lately.

Our D-line was great last year, can we really risk taking a big step backwards? There are hardly any quality DEs around as FAs and it doesn't look like we will be in a spot in the first round to take a DE without it being a reach.

Re-sign Odom, it's a risk worth taking, imo.

This signing would open up other opportunites for us in the draft, which is one reason I'd like to see it get done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar