Observations: Fire Fisher Now

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by HeadOnASwivel, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

^^Nailed it

A regular season record of 13-3 doesn't matter when you lose your first playoff game AT HOME. Face it, without the Music City Miracle and the run to the Super Bowl that followed it Jeff Fisher's playoff record would be awful. And playoff wins and making and winning the Super Bowl is what really matters right? Some of you guys need to wake up..when has ESPN ever been right about anything? So they say Fisher is one of the best coaches in the league and you all eat that up? With him as our head coach we'll probably never reach the Super Bowl again let alone win one until he grows a pair and plays to win instead of playing not to lose.

2. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Fine lets fire Fisher right now. Who do we hire?

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Yeah! Let's do it! And then we can join that carousel of teams (Raiders, Browns, etc.) that rebuild their entire organization every two years! Yahoo!

A three point loss in overtime to the defending World Champs in their house on the night they were celebrating their record setting sixth Super Bowl, and yall wanna fire the coach? :hmm: Geez.

Our field goal unit left 6 points on the field, and we are blaming playcalling? :hmm: Geez.

Hind sight really is 20/20, huh?

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

if you were watching the game we shouldn't have needed those 6 points to win..we shoulda been up big the way our D played in the first half and especially after Polamalu went out we should have attacked that part of the field over and over and over again..but we didn't because Fisherball wouldn't allow something like that

5. nbtoppers2

nbtoppers2 Pro Bowler

Rob Del Greco

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I was being sarcastic. Just asking the Fisher haters who they could hire that would be an upgrade.

7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

And how many super bowls has Fisher won?
    Not dissin Fisher, but Cowher has won a super bowl so his big losses to Fisher are a bit easier to swallow than any big loss Fisher has to Cowher.

8. ben4titans

ben4titans Camp Fodder

You know it is funny how history is repeating itself. My favorite college team just went through the same thing with Phil Fulmer. Those loyal to Fulmer would always repeat the same tired worn out question..."who ya gonna get". Well early returns look to be that we got a coach that is better than Fulmer and by far has put together a much better staff overall. You cant be scared of "who ya gonna get" when you know the "one ya got now" is probably not going to be able to lead you to the promise land.

Sometimes when a coach has put in as much time at one place as Fisher has, one can start to get comfortable and a bit complacent. I dont see Fisher being innovative in any way. When Chow was let go he went back to his old buddy Dinger. Much like Fulmer did when he went back to his old buddy Cutcliffe. Much like Randy Sanders was the fall guy for Fulmer...Chow was the fall guy for Fisher. But as time goes by and more and more of these Pitt games and Baltimore from last year add up people realize where the real problem lies.

Fisher is a good coach, respected throughout the league. But his time is close to being up here in TN. He has run his course and overall did his job well here. I think when the Collins era is done this year or next it would be a great time to part ways with Fisher and start a new.

9. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

There were three primary factors in this loss, as far as I see it, and two of them are fixable for the future.

1) Special teams was abysmal. It was piss poor in every facet of the word. So poor, that Mr. Avery is automatically put on notice in my mind. Bironas missing that chip was completely uncharacteristic, but hey, it happens; it just sucks more because that +3 would have won this game potentially. Hentrich's horrendous punt at the game spelled potential disaster if not for an brilliant strip by Griffin and Fuller. Finny looked horrendous back there, and when he was muffing punts and giving invalid fair catches, he looked completely bland returning. Ringer also showed me very little moxy returning kicks; yeah he's got moves behind the line, but I don't think he has enough straight-away speed to be a decent returner. Replacements MUST be made; get on the horn to B. Wade immediately if he has anything left. Coverage was acceptable, but not special. I doubt the problems are fixed for a bit, but it was a key problem to this game.

2. Play-calling in the fourth quarter was pretty poor, but there are are some variables that affect this, namely my upcoming third reason. The defensive line, which had played brilliantly IMO for 3.5 quarters, was completely gassed on the final few drives. Losing Haynesworth only really hurt the team IF the coaching staff believes they can send four and have decent pressure, ESPECIALLY late in the game. Pitt was calling a no huddle, because (1) everyone knows Ten has a superb rotation, and if they're fresh, they're extremely effective and (2) Ten absolutely REFUSED to blitz the LBs, who looked lost covering wide outs. Look, I know Pitt has a good WR corp, but the secondary is capable and the defensive line is not when they're exhausted and can't get any support on the blitz. It really is that simple. Coming in, I absolutely expected Cecil to be more aggressive than Schwartz, but it seems evident that Fish is truly the one calling the shots, because nothing has changed. Believe you me...This team will continue to lose close games against great teams, if the defense play calling REFUSES to call good blitzing at the end of games. While I've never called for Fisher's head, I will not deny that he does abandon what has worked for 3.5 quarters to keep the game close or ahead, in exchange for a very conservative, inaffective approach. You see it on offense, and now you're starting to see it on defense without Schwartz. Make a note of it.

3. This last one is simple. The Titans played a great team, on a special night for them, in their own house. And guess what? We punched them in the mouth all night. Whether the media acknowledges it or not, this team is as talented, maybe even more talented, than the defending Super Bowl champs. This team can win and can compete, but certain things have to change to be on the elite, Super Bowl caliber level of execution.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Limit mistakes and a Super Bowl will come. Period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar