Oakland willing to trade Asomugha

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by AH3, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AH3

AH3 Rookie

Saw this on ESPN.com. I'm not an insider, so I couldn't read the actual article. Thought this was intriguing though. Seems like he's one of the few out there that actually knows what he's doing- so why trade him?

If it were true, I'd be willing to throw our 1st pick and more at them. In my opinion, Asomugha is the ideal NFL CB. He's got great size and good speed and he's a great guy from what I've heard. He'd be a PERFECT fit here- not just saying that because I want him here :ha:. He wants a shot at a title and our biggest hindrance to a title is a weak CB2. And he'd be a leader for the team and wouldn't bring in any character problems.

Rumors were that the Jets could trade for him, which would be insane with the two best CBs in the NFL on one team.

All of this being said, I know us trading for him is about as likely as us having a choice between Suh and Berry at our pick in the draft. But a man can dream...

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. RTH

RTH Meh...

I say Nickey for Asomugha, straight up!

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Chances are it is a sensationalism headline to get people to subscribe.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

it said something about how nnamdi was talking about playing for the jets at the pro bowl and if the jets would be willing to trade for him.

also said the raiders are in fact shopping him.

5. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Let's trade him for Kerry Collins.

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

From what I have read it's true. But there's a kicker that everyone here is probably going to ignore. He has a terrible contract.

Yes, he is awesome. Maybe the best at his position. There are limits to what a single player should be paid, though. He is due to earn something like $16 million this season (including bonuses) and he has clauses in his contract that make it very, very bad for a team going forward. You can't tie up that kind of money in one player (with the possible exception of top 3 QBs). It helps you at one position, but it kills you across the rest of your roster because you have no money to work with. Even if this coming season is uncapped, there will be a cap in place in the future.

Do you really think the Raiders would be shopping him for a trade if they hadn't realized his contract is awful? Elite players don't just get put on the trade market for no reason. Even the Raiders don't just give away their best players without having a reason for it.

Trading for him is a bad idea.

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

But we'd fall apart without Donnie:grrhee:

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

His contract is indeed tough to absorb, but if he can entirely eliminate the weapons Reggie Wayne, and Andre Johnson have become imagine the possibilities. I know I'm more likely to win the Power Ball than for us to make a move at him, but damn I hate when these types of players become available.

9. AH3

AH3 Rookie

So when a player gets traded, is the new team responsible for that same contract? It'd be sweet if we could pay him a ridiculous salary this year in the uncapped year then bring things down (still high, but not insane) when the cap comes back. I'm pretty sure there's a rule against that.

My favorite position in football is CB so I naturally am huge fans of guys like Asomugha and Revis. I'm with you JC, I hate when these guys are available because if you asked me a list of 5 players I'd love to have on the Titans, these 2 would definitely be on it (probably at 1 and 2) but I know we'll never realistically make an effort to get them.

Don't get me wrong, Finny is awesome. But I think most would agree that these 2 guys are on a different level (much like comparing CJ to other RBs and Peyton to other QBs).

10. TitansFanMD

TitansFanMD Camp Fodder

trade white for asomugha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar