Notable Combine Performances

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I don't know if anyone paid attention the last few days, but first off, something seems strange with some of the 40 times, especially the DB groups. That group ran terrible, or something was going wrong on most every run. Either way, a lot of prospects are going to have to bust hump at their pro days to recover some lost ground. Some guys held firm, or did about what was expected, and a few surprised. Here's my take on some notable peformances.

Darrius Hayward Bey, WR, Maryland - You know about the 4.30 40. He also ran a 6.80 three-cone (top 10), 10' 6" broad (top 10), 38.5" vertical (top 10), and a 4.18 20-yard shuttle (top 10). I put some stock into the fact that the Titans interviewed him first, like CJ last year.

Mike Wallace, WR, South Carolina - at 6'0 199 with a 4.33 40 and 40 inch vertical, Mike Wallace posted the numbers everyone thought Jeremy Maclin would post. An improving route-runner, Wallace could be one to consider at the end of two.

Jared Cook, TE, South Carolina - 6'5 7/8" and 246 pounds, this TE ran a 4.5 flat and posted a 41" vertical. He played WR before switching to TE. Have to believe Heimerdinger and the crew are intrigued by this guy's measurables and the matchup nightmares he would create. This guy could command double teams and would be hard to be covered by a LB alone. Some say we don't need another TE, but I think other offensive players would beneit with this guy on the field.

Darius Butler, CB, UConn - had a solid combine performance with a 4.47 and 4.5 40. Playmaking ability compared to Deon Sanders. Is a ballhawk and can play on defense, offense and special teams. An Ed Reed-type with the ball in his hands. In addition to one of the better 40s, he posted a 43" vertical jump at 5'11.

Lardarius Webb, CB, Nicholls State - 5'10 179 lbs ran a 4.46 40 official (4.36 unofficial) and had the best CB time overall. 6.77 three cone. Looked fluid in drills. Definitely made money at the workouts. Kind of a Finnegan type. Small school, listed as a corner/safety 'tweener, but definitely has the skills to play corner. School size will hurt. Transferred from Southern Miss, not sure why. At Nicholls, Webb became the first player in the country to be offensive, defensive and special teams player of the week all in the same week.

Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State - Robiskie ran a 4.48 and 4.51 40, and that was his worst performance at the combine. 6.72 3-cone, 4.19 20 yard shuttle. Robiskie caught ev-a-ree-thing thrown his way. Given "Best Performance" nods at combine on day the receivers worked out. A second-round guy whose biggest holdbacks are top-end speed and blocking. For those who don't think Robiskie is weapony enough, his junior year when he posted 900+ yards he had 11 TDs. This year when he had around 500, he still managed 7.

Ian Johnson, RB, Boise St. - Always wondered how this guy would do after that memorable New Year's game against Oklahoma. Well, Johnson had the 2nd fastest 40 time at 4.46 behind Cedric Peerman (4.45), benched 26 times (5th best) and had a 6.93 3-cone (top 10). After his 25 TD sophomore performance, Johnson split carries the last two years and saw his numbers decline. Shifty runner who has burst and some power could be a good compliment. Still probably a 3rd(earliest) to 5th round pick, but has good size (5'11" 212 lbs).

James Casey, TE, Rice - 6'3 245. This is the guy with the unreal production. A true sophomore, Casey had 111 receptions for 1,329 yards and 13 TDs. He benched 225 28 times, had a 36-inch vertical, an 11.8 60-yard and a 7.00 three-cone time. A bit older, will be 24 or 25. Spent two years on Mormon mission trip.

Sean Smith, CB, Utah - Almost forgot. Last workout I paid attention to last night. Ran a 4.47 and 4.50, which I thought was superb given the day most of the other DBs had. This is the guy who is 6'3" 214. Hips looked surprisingly fluid. Be looking forward to more workouts. You know this is another guy the Titans will be compelled to take a closer look at.

Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona - Thomas measured in at 5'7 7/8" and 195 pounds. He ran a 4.4 flat, good for 3rd best official WR time. 10'6" broad jump, 40" vertical, 6.65 three cone drill (2nd best). As proof he gets separation, Thomas has 259 career college receptions and is the all-time Pac-10 leader. Decided to return on special teams for the first time as a senior and recorded two TDs.

Connor Barwin, DE, Cincinnati - 6'3" 253, had a 40.5" vertical, ran a 4.66 40 (#2), 10'8" broad jump (#1), 6.87 3-cone (#1), 4.18 20-yard shuttle (#1). Only a one-year starter on defense, Barwin had 15 TFL, 11 sacks, 7 passes broken up and blocked three kicks. Before that, Barwin played TE/HB/FB and worked out as that, DE, and LB. Problem is he doesn't have a true position, but there was some speculation that all his skills would be best served as a linebacker. I read some repeat that, saying a 3-4 team, and whereas he did rush the passer, I think he could be a 4-3 LB as well. Great personality, hard worker, non-stop motor. Will likely go in two or three due to workouts. Could be a Mike Vrabel type, playing defense but used as a goalline TE as well.

Linebackers who did well in general: Aaron Curry, Clay Matthews, Gerald McRath, Marcus Freeman, Brian Cushing. A lot of these guys posted disappointing numbers. DT Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State, had a very good workout as well.

Disappointments: Andre Smith up and left Saturday. Malcolm Jenkins ran a 4.55. D.J. Moore ran a 4.54. No RB broke 4.45, four broke 4.5. One LB broke 4.6 (Curry, 4.56), three were in the 4.6s (McRath 4.61, Stanley Arnoux 4.61, Clay Matthews 4.67 and Jason Phillips 4.69).

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

6'5 + 40" vertical + 4.5 speed = touchdown. Cook could be the next Gates.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

as much as i don't want to draft him, michael johnson tore the roof off.

4. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

Michael Johnson will not dominate in the NFL until half way through his 2nd season or in his 3rd.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I doubt Michael Johnson will ever dominate in the NFL.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

more likely that he won't ever dominate in the nfl.

7. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

On Michael Johnson... From where you guys are from, I'm gonna assume that you never really watched him play. I live in Georgia, am a GT fan, and have gone to several GT home games. The guy can dominate... he's the real deal.
    And before you all start screaming homer, I use fan in the loosest sense of the word. My team is Bama, I can't stand Georgia fans, and I have some family connections to GT. By default, I root for GT.

8. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

I've also watched plenty of Michael Johnson... And yes the guy can dominate, but he doesn't on a regular basis. In some ways he reminds me of Gholston last year, in that he is a fantastic athlete, but he takes off way too many plays. I'd rather have a high motor guy who will bring it every play.

9. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Do you think it is that he takes plays off, or that there were considerable injuries to the DL this past year and Johnson was the focus of double teams all year?

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

The Titans seem to stick to two basic rules when drafting in the 1st round. 1) Don't draft a WR. 2) Don't draft a giraffe....even though it has a nice ring to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar