Not Much Choices at QB in Free Agency

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CKTitan, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

What's with the love affair with Campbell..he's shown squat. I don't get it.. someone I work with is a huge Skins fan and he even says he's terrible.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Lots of Redskins fans think Campbell will flourish on a team with a better o-line and better coaching. The "someone" you work with isn't necessarily a football expert.

I think it remains to be seen whether Campbell will ever put it together and become truly effective, but he appears to have some of the tools. He's certainly not great, but he probably isn't worse than what the Titans currently have.

3. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

Ok, then enjoy settling for mediocrity on someone who seems to have tools but hasn't put it together yet.

4. Lava

Lava Camp Fodder

That's basically what you're going to get when you draft a QB. At least Campbell has some experience.

(Just playing devil's advocate here)

5. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

I don't want Campbell. Even if he does have the tools, he hasn't put it together in like 5 years...which usually isn't a good sign. He's not playing as bad as Jamarcus, but he's not really playing great either.

Personally, I'm still in favor of improving WR a bit more as this team really isn't designed at this point for high scoring games.

Oh also, just realized. If next season goes uncapped like it's looking like it will, the years played for eligibility to become a FA rises from 4 to 6. This being Campbell's 5th season, he won't be able to end up as a free agent unless the skins decide they're absolutely done with him and choose to cut him outright.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Pennington is done...as in career is over most likely. He had a bad shoulder to begin with and now it has ANOTHER major injury?

Delhomme has been DREADFUL. No thank you.

Jackson can't beat out backup QB's.

Orton is gonna be staying in Denver if they keep this up.

Jason Campbell is somehow on everyone's wish list while being a bad-mediocre QB who's had a solid OL, WR's and run game for nearly his entire career. No thanks.

Either VY shows us he's worth it or he's gone.

Collins is the fallback plan leaving us with 3 alternatives.

1- The draft will have some nice young QB's in it, but it really is a crap shoot. Sure you could land the franchise QB of your dreams, but more likely you're gonna miss and invest a large chunk of your cap in a dud. 1st rnd qb's bust A LOT!!! Alex Smith ring any bells? How's Jamarcus Russell doing? For every Flacco or Big Ben, there are MANY busts. So if we DO decide to draft a young gunslinger, you better hold your breath that we didn't just set the organization back 3-5 years.

2 - Free agency. For the most part you've put out some names, but I'd be looking at free agency either way. Perhaps a Jeff Garcia, Daunte Culpepper, or what if McNabb was cut? Bulger and Vick will probably be free too.

3 - Trading for a QB might make a lot of sense but it'd have to be for the right price. McNabb looks like a good guy to go after since he's been a Pro Bowl QB, has a strong arm, can keep things alive with his feet and has a ton of experience. However, he does have a bit of an ego and getting cut loose from Philly may give him some serious emotional baggage. Also, you don't know how he'll play in a new system since he's ALWAYS been in one system his whole career. But you can see the Eagles are looking past the McNabb years and I think his contract is done in 2010. Since they won't re-sign him, it makes sense for them to trade him in the off-season if they think Kolb is ready. Garrard and Carr are two other guys worth looking at.

Lots of options but we still have some time. First, we need to try and keep our miniscule chances of the playoffs alive by winning. Second, once eliminated, we need to play VY and our younger players to decide who's worth keeping and what holes we need to fill. Third, we need to decide what coaching changes will or need to be made.

Gut

7. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

Experience? who the hell cares, I don't want someone elses bust. If he sucked there, he'll suck here too.

This team needs a fresh start at QB, someone who can learn and grow with a fresh clean slate.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Let me first start by saying no, Collins can't carry a team, but he sure can Kerry a team. Every time this guy gets control of a team he crashes and burns. Enough of that already! As much of a Vince fan as I seem to be, I doubt he'll work it out in Tennessee, but I say give Vince the starting job and lets see where that puts us. If we indeed need a new QB then free agency could be where to go shopping. Chad Pennington, and Kyle Orton shouldn't even be in the conversation, but Jason Campbell, David Carr, Kellen Clemens, Daunte Culpepper, Tarvaris Jackson, Jon Kitna, and Troy Smith could be. I'm iffy on Kitna, because I think that might be much of the same as what we've currently have. I've always liked Troy Smith since college so I'd take him over all those listed names.

9. CKTitan

CKTitan Special Teams Standout

Smith would be a RFA with the uncapped year so he'd have to be cut

:grrr::grrr::grrr::grrr: Culpepper!!!!!!!!!!!!! He didn't want to play for us three years ago in his prime two ACL injuries later he's even more a liability

Carr on the other hand there's potential, with Roos and Stewart protecting him he may finally play to his potential I also like Clemens

10. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Other than drafting a QB there hasn't been one person named in this thread that's going to win a Superbowl with this team. Jason Campbell, really? Jeff Garcia, he's what 40? And did someone honestly say David Carr?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar