No first-round receiver? No problem, says Titans quarterback Young

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Kid Gloves, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

2. desfletcher316

desfletcher316 Occasional visitor

I think and hope he's right. Heimerdinger will bring the best out of what we got.

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

true dat.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

One could argue that a top TE is every bit the equal to a #1 WR. If crumpler is at or close to the 800 yard a season receiver he was in atlanta Vince basically has his #1 guy just like wycheck served that role for mcnair. A 700 yard TE plus 2 700 yard Wrs is fine in our offense and we still have scaife a Te who has averaged 37 catches a season for us.

I really like the 2 TE set because that gives us the best possible balance to run or pass.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Nice article... I'm with RollTide on the 2 TE set with us - it makes more sense. I also think we had every intention of going with a WR early and 2 things happened that changed things:

1) Signing Crumpler. It's easy to forget that the Titans often moved the ball last year, only to turn it over or stall in the red zone. VY has to improve the 1st part, and Crumpler should help the 2nd.

2) Heimmerdinger came in and evaluated the WR crew and liked what he had.

Those 2 things turned a top priority into just a need. Heimmerdinger is a great combo with Fisher - we'll still be run-oriented and make heavy use of our TEs. But Fisher trusts Mike enough to change it up and take shots when defenses react too much to the short game. The WRs we have *might* be good enough as a group to get that job done.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

well...

The double TE set will definitely be a good formation for us because it's balanced, but teams can bring more guys in the box to defend the run.

I think our best sets will be 3 wr, 1 te, 1 rb and 2 wr, 1 te, 2 rb formations. The 3 wr 1 te 1 rb set will force teams to play nickel (removing a run defender and creating more space for our RB and Vince to run in. If teams want to stay with 3 LB's, we'll force them to play zone coverage. Dictating to the defense is GOOD!

The 2 wr, 2 rb, 1 te set will also be effective...especially if CJ can be the explosive player we drafted him to be. Teams won't want to go nickel with 3 potential runners (White, CJ, VY) but won't be able to match up on CJ or Crumpler with S's. Again, this will likely lead to us running on their nickel or forcing them to play zone. And some simple bubble or WR screens or swing passes can pay huge dividends.

Gut

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

While I like what both RollTide and Gut are saying here, let's not forget Hall is a pretty damn good developing FB. Hopefully he'll be even better this season, with more plays off to rest, given that we will likely see many 2TE sets and some of those crazy 2HB sets.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Hall is very underrated. Maybe top 5.

9. Ewker

Ewker Starter

did he have a choice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar