No comments on Schwartz?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Was the Titans D bad in '01, '02 and '03?

Wait. I forget. When the defense is successful, it is IN SPITE of Schwartz just as it was in Indy and Philly this year.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yes, in fact they were one of the worst.

4. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Please......Don't get me started. Check what? PPG defense? Uh.. Titans were 13th... Guess who led the league in PPG that year? Well, this might surprise you but the SB champs... I guess the run defense isn't as important as you think.

5. Fry

i blame schwartz for schemes like "rush four against drew bledsoe and give him all the time in the world to pick you apart" even when EVERY other team in the league knows if you make him move his feet he will give you the game a silver platter.

6. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Didn't Schwartz lead the defense to a top ranking?
    - That was Gregg Williams. Schwartz's defense ranked 25th his first year (2001) after his predecessor Gregg Williams had the Titans at #1 the year before, who stated, "We led the league that year with the big play quotient, which was sacks + turnovers added together, and nobody had more negative plays against them than when they played against the Tennessee Titans because we were able to take the ball away and sack the quarterback better than anybody in the league combined."
    - The Titans total defense rankings, points allowed since Schwartz took over:
    2001: 25th, 24.2
    2002: 10th, 20.2
    2003: 12th, 20.2
    2004: 27th, 27.4
    2005: 19th, 26.3
    2006: 32nd, 25.6 (as of 11/20/06)
    - With Kearse, Carter, Godrey and Rolle, he could do no better than 10th and 12th in 2002 and 2003, and that's with McNair and George leading the offense to #1 (tied) and #2 (tied) in time of possession in those years respectively.
    - Either way, that's still allowing an average of over 24 points a game throughout his tenure, and clearly getting worse.

Schartz might not be 100% the problem, but IMO, he is the #1 reason.

7. TitanJeff

Right. That was the injury year when the team had to play so many backups. My bad.

Oh wait. Personnel doesn't have anything to do with the success of the defense, right?

I guess Schwartz played a lot of bad scheme that season before figuring out how to do it right in '02 and '03 just to forget it all again when the injuries returned in '04 and the cap purge of '05.

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Do you dispute that the talent level in those years were significantly above average? Right now we have average talent, but that shouldn't translate to rock bottom.

9. TitanJeff

Well, we're getting closer to common ground.

I blame Schwartz for much of the problem but I see the players lack of execution as the #1 reason.

Then again, many blame Schwartz when players don't execute properly. :hmm:

10. Fry

apparently it doesnt, since we have upgraded speed, experience and overall ability from last year and we're even worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar