No comments on Schwartz?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Eagles, and their #1 offense, had drives down to the Tennessee 42-, 42-, 41-, 24-, 20-, 18- and 1-yard lines, none of which resulted in a touchdown.

2. dlb

dlb Guest

I did get concerned at one point in the 3rd quarter I think. We went into our "prevent" defence with only a 3 man front & Garcia was killing us. Someone, either Fisher (probably) or Schwartz got out of it real quick & went back to what had been working.

3. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Considering Laboy and Odom were out, it makes that even more amazing. This is the second week we have held a running back to less than 100 yards. It's just a shame we get better in the secondary because someone is injured and he has to play Finnegan. What was the hold up? Not only is he crazy fast, be he plays the ball very well. Since Thornton has been hurt, and we moved Sirmon over to OLB, our run D has gotten better......chew on that a while.

4. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Jeff, there's plenty of Scwartz comments from yesterday, and nobody is fooled. We won yesterday from NOT doing what we had before. I don't know who's responsible for that, but I'm sure it wasn't any great stroke of genius on Schwartz's part.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Such as? Did you see a new scheme yesterday? I didn't.

We had a #3 at RDE, our #2 CB was a seventh-round rookie who was playing the position for the first time. We had a new nickel as well and a LB playing who was also a rookie.

By no means were the Titans defense anything great but they managed to keep the big plays to a minimum and tightened up when it counted.

Love him or hate him, he's held two of the league's top offenses in check and deserves credit.

Once again, he gets the blame for failures but no credit for success.

6. avvie

I saw some extra effort from some players, which was a big help, but like dlb said, we saw the D start to stand down again. It's sickening to have to say out loud "here's where we start giving it away again". Thankfully that was abandoned, but that, to me, is an admittance that your method is a failure.

Now, don't get me wrong...that's a good thing when you realise that what you're doing isn't working. How many losses does it take to discover this?

I know that your position has been that there isn't enough decent talent on the D to play the Schwartz scheme...but isn't that part of his job also? To be able to work with what he has?

I will freely admit that I'm no expert on the subject, but I'm not buying that notion that he's a genius just because some coaches and pundits pat him on the back and call him "buddy". Those same people make consistently bad projections on a weekly basis. It seems telling to me that everyone who ISN'T wearing a suit or getting paid to comment on the matter holds the exact opposite opinion.

7. avvie

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

the eagles still got their average amount of yards, they just couldnt get it in the endzone. certainly didnt help that they had a backup qb and their WRs played like ours have all season.

with the way we make backup qbs look, i know i wasnt the only who thought "oh jeez, here comes garcia, we're done."

fact is, one or two good games a season doesnt make up for 7 terrible games.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Honestly, only the fact that McNabb and Garcia played badly was the reason our defence looked good. We had no pass rush to speak of (again) and we gave up 120 yards rushing.

Really this game should be called The Drop, since that was the common theme on both teams and on both sides of the ball.

10. avvie

I don't see how one could look at our overall defensive rankings for tha past two years and not think that there was more wrong than just the players. Yesterday had some proud moments, but it still felt like a battle of who sucked the least.

This sums it up very well. I can't take one or two games out of 25 and suddenly decide that maybe Schwartz is okay after all. Instead, it looks like a working example of the Blind Squirrel Theory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar