NFLPA to File Grievance for McNair

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yvette

Yvette Starter

Regardless who initiated the grievance, if the Titans violated the CBA then by all means the NFLPA had damn well better do their job and advocate for its members.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Exactly. Titans control wether McNair is paid/traded/cut not McNair. McNair will not be a FA till 2007 unless the Titans agree to let him become a FA

Titans do not have to cut McNair to sign the rookies. Titans have other options and besides I am not certain it is necessary as Titans were way under the CAP heading into FA

While I agree there could be an argument made for cutting McNair and signing a FA, I would rather have McMVP on the team in 2006 so I am wanting 9 to realize his best and only option is to sign with the Titans for 3 or so years. Poor baby will probably be forced to take another 10m or so, my heart bleeds it truly does.

3. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Where is all the hostility towards McNair coming from. Maybe what McNair wants is to play out his current contract and then try out free agency. What has he done that makes him the bad person. He signed a deal and he is trying to play it out. He is not asking for anything other than what the Titans agreed too.

Why don't the Titans just cut him and draft a QB?

4. metal957

metal957 Starter

Exactly the way I look at it. McNair and Cook have pushed this way past where it should have ever have been. A Titan's lawyer told Cook that McNair would not be allowed to work out there at the Titan's Facility yet he let Steve go, thinking the Titan's were bluffing. They didn't and it blew up. The Titan's are in the driver's seat on this and if a deal or a trade can't be worked out release him as late as possible.

:howdy: :nana3:

5. fltitan

fltitan Guest

I dont think people who are posting here are McNair haters. I happen to be a McNair fan, I respect Steve not only for the player he his but the kind of person he is however that doesnt change the business side of this problem. Steve and Cook both knew this contract would never be paid in full, most NFL contracts arent. Cook has decided to do what he thinks best for McNair(and himself) as it relates to $. Thers nothing wrong with that but the reason they want the release now is so Steve can get prepared with his new team. The team he goes to will be better if Steves released now instead of waiting as late as possible but that certainly isnt the best move for the Titans. If Steve goes to Baltimore we have to play them so I for one dont want us to do anything that helps a team we have to play and I hope we never do anything to help the Ravens. Why hasnt Cook asked permission to try to work out a trade unless they already have something in hand. Cook is an excellent agent and hes doing what he thinks is best for his client and Reese is going to do whats best for the Titans, that means if we cant work something out with them we wait as late as possible to release him, its just the nature of the business.

6. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

Below is a quote from the article in today's Tennessean:

"An official with the NFLPA said he was unaware of the situation when contacted yesterday."

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree with what you're saying but IMO, that is exactly what puts them in the driver's seat. His market value drops with each passing day and will take a hit after the draft when team's personnel plans are set in motion. Barring 2 teams injuring their starter in the off-season, his value should continue to drop. I see the Titans holding on to him until they have to sign their rookie class- by that time most teams will have their QB issue settled going into OTA "season" and training camp. Interest in Steve will have dropped significantly.

Cook and Steve aren't stupid and I think that is why they are using the situation to maximize other team interest/discussion. Smart move on their part even though it is painful for a Mac9 fan like me to watch unfold.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Where the heck have you been?

Do MAC a favor... just because we love him so much...

CUT HIM!!!
    I don't like it but that is just the way $#!& goes...:banned:

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Because they want to keep McNair at a lower contract value. It's called negotiating, and it isnt always pretty, especially when one side holds all the cards.

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Excellent post, couldnt agree more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar