NFLPA Asking Prospects To Boycott The Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Aqutis30, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

...some words might have gotten twisted a bit:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6220232

also surprised

2. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Since football season is over with, I've rarely watched espn. Basically, either they are going to have football or they arent.. and if they aren't the only people who are losing out are the players because the NFL is a leisure for most people and we will just barbeque at home on sundays and enjoy the time off from work regardless if they are playing or not....

I mean, by week 10 or 11, you know whether or not your team has a shot at making the playoffs, and by week 15-16 your team is already in or already out so there is only about 2 months of meaningful football being played anyways.

3. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Though I tend to side with the players in the labor dispute this is a ridiculous request from them. If I were one of the kids coming out of college and someone called me and asked that, my response would be, "Oh, you want me to boycott the draft to support the players union when the players union is the one who wants to institute a rookie salary cap, which prevents me from making more money than I normally could?"

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Last year and the year before, every single Titans game became the biggest game of the season. Week-1 meant something, facing the Steelers in week-2 meant something, week-3 in New York was something, then week-4 was something, week-5 and on and on I could go. Point is, I value games in September as much as those in December. Sure the later the games, the closer to the playoffs you get, but a win in the fall can be as important as one in winter.

5. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Basically, I think the situation is the exact opposite, but no offense.

6. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Both sides can kiss my ***. The owners and the players could givea crap about anyone but themselves. The fans will be the only losers. Ultimately the owners will still pocket their 10s of millions in profits and the players will still be making more money than most people will see in a lifetime...and they will take complete advantage of a fan base that will continue to line up for tickets.

I will be one of those who will be in the seats I have had since '99 because I love our team....however I will never take an owner or player's word at face value any longer. If this ends up in losing part or all of our season it will taint the game for me.

And this bull**** about boycotting the draft just really throws gas on the fire for me because that is something I always love to watch and starts my season countdown.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Moon1

Moon1 Starter

It's that type of thinking that destroys unions. Most players don't get to go to the awards ceremony just like most players in the league aren't rookies. The NFLPA is trying to make a rookie cap for the benefit of the players as a whole. Players like CJ who really deserve big money would get the big contracts instead of players like VY who just happened to get drafted number 3. Teams have way too much money tied up in high draft picks that don't pan out.

8. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Really? An Uncle Buck quote in a labour discussion? ...I like it.

Anyhow, the NFLPA has put the draft prospects in a really unfair, uncomfortable situation in my mind. They seem to be saying 'If you're gonna be one of us, you better not be chummy with the league by attending the draft'. So now, the rookies' reputation with their future teammates is in jeopardy if they attend. So basically they have to forgo what could be the highlight of their career (if they bust out, anyhow).

Instead, they get to just attend some other lame little ditty thrown by the NFLPA. As cute as it is for DeMaurice Smith to congratulate you, before you shake Elvis Dumervill's hand and pop on your Bronco hat, it's not the real draft. It's not Radio City Music Hall. It's not that smug prat Roger Goodell. It's not the same, and it's not the rookies' fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar