NFL players not the only ones messing up

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Apparently back in May John Elway's son Jack was arrested after getting into an argument with his girlfriend and allegedly dragging her out of his car by her hair.

[​IMG]

But eventually struck a plea deal with prosecutors and was sentenced to one year of domestic violence counseling and one year of probation under monitored sobriety.

Good times.
    [​IMG]

Link

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Four NFL players out of 1,600+ arrested over a nine month period for domestic violence= an epidemic according to media sensationalism.

Love it.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You and I know this is nothing new, but theres become this fascination with cleaning out the assholes. Reports are showing 15 domestic violent crimes were committed since 2012

4. Fry

So that's an average of five a year. Five. Out of 1,600+ each year. This is not some hysterical problem that needs to be dealt with sweeping change around the league. These are isolated incidents.

5. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Been thinking about this for awhile, so I finally googled an article about the comparison between the NFL and general public:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/

It is actually lower in the NFL than in the general population per this study.

That said, what do you consider "sweeping change"? Was Goodell's pre-video proclamation (6 weeks first offense for domestic violence, lifetime potentially for subsequent offense) sweeping in your opinion? Back in 2005, Hopkins got a one game suspension for his offense (from what I could glean, anyway). Is a 1-2 game suspension for this ok by you?

Do you think that the pre-conviction suspensions that we are starting to see now are sweeping changes? I do agree that this could be gamed (by nuisance claims) in the future btw...

I am not trying to start an argument, I am really more curious about where you think the line should be drawn on this.

6. Fry

I think it's excessive, but at least it isn't arbitrary. I think four is more reasonable. 1/4 of the season. I think that's an issue the NFL faces, the number of games played is less, so when a player is suspended four games people who don't follow the sport(media talking heads) scoff when in reality it's a tougher penalty than 25 games in the MLB.

see answer above.

Yes and I think they're ridiculous. I'd rather due process be afforded than have a guy sit unjustly. Also, you're seeing an uneven punishment and competitive advantage. Adrian Peterson and Jonathon Dywer sit while Ray McDonald plays. This isn't college football where each school/conference has the ability to have their own policies regarding X law infraction. These things are collectively bargained and should be administered consistently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar