NFL MVP at Mid-season?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanbuoy, Nov 3, 2008.

?
  1. Drew Brees

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. Albert Haynesworth

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. Clinton Portis

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. Kurt Warner

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. Joey Porter

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. Other

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

no, but you did say you would take the ravens defense over ours, stating the fact that we have faced an averaged of the 20th ranked scoring offense.

the ravens have faced lesser competition and we still allow fewer points.

2. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

I can whole heartedly agree with that. Each one of those teams exceed in some areas and not others.

Steelers - take total yds. per game and sacks
    Giants - are all around great D and champs
    Ravens - having the best run D
    Titans - Best scoring D at 12.9 per game and tied for first in INT's which also adds to being #1 in takeaways

So you really have to pick and choose what stat is more important to you....IMO(And please take it just as my opinion) Only allowing 12.9 pts. per game regardless of who you played is a key stat in my eyes to being a #1 defense.

In all honesty though, look at the RB's that the Ravens faced during their schedule....at best they faced an aging Jamal Lewis, and Ronnie Brown...everyone else has been either Rookies or 2nd year guys. And its funny that they gave up almost the same amount of yards to D Rhodes that we did.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I bet most defensive coordinators want their top three stats to be:

1. Points-allowed
    2. Takeaways
    3. Avg. yards gained per play

The Titans are first in points-allowed, tied for second in takeaways (behind Chi and tied with KC) and in yards allowed per play (behind Balt and Pitt). Third down conversion % is also a key stat and the Titans are 10th there.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I voted for Portis, but the main reason I didn't give it to Al is that I think the rest of our defense has really come together around him, and not necessarily because of him. He certainly makes our defense better every play that he's on the field, but I think some of our results are coming from the secondary finally gelling.

In terms of the defense debate, I'm much more skeptical of the Ravens defense after watching them get absolutely destroyed by the Colts.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff takaways are not a concrete thing they may indicate offensive mistakes or frankly just luck. we see teams lead the league in takaways one year and are middle of the pack the next with the same players.

Average yards per play can be effected when teams are passing the ball more but i agree a top 3 stat.

Bottom line is you have to stop the run first. 85 bears and the 2000 ravens shut down the run as well as anyone. The ravens give up a whole yard less per run than we do.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Being a rookie RB or 2nd year guy is meaningless. If you have not realized that you have not been watching the nfl.

What about the titans? the ravens played us.

We average 140 yards and 4.58 yards a carry per game.

Against the ravens we had 22 carries, 47 yards for a 2.13 average.

That's all i need to know about that defense. They shut us up like a clam.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

True. The Bears are near the top in takeaways and fall towards the middle of the pack in defense. But imagine where they would be if those offenses were able to take care of the football and finish drives.

So though I think it is based on luck to a certain degree, it is a key factor on where a defense is ranked.

And the Ravens have a superior defense, IMO. Right now, I think we're top five based on points allowed which, ultimately, is the best stat a defense can have.

8. titans4life10

Wanna explain to me how being a Rookie or 2nd year guy is not meaningless??? Or is it that all rookies and 2nd year guys come out playing like AP? I was making the point that Ravens have yet to face any rb's of an AP, LT, caliber yet. But they do face Westbrook, Portis, Barber, Giants RB's, and a porbably healthy Parker later in the season. Lets see how well that 2.8 holds up.

You act like im discounting the Ravens D. In no way shape or form am I doing that. Ravens have had probably the most stingy D for the last decade, and can always manage to plug someone into their D that will produce.

All I was saying was that they took advantage of the RB's that were thrown at them. And have been in great situations to stop the run. But like i said they havent faced high quality RB's or running teams this season, aside from the Titans, which you are right they did smack the running game right to the ground.

But you might wanna do a lil research first, before you wanna make a comment against someone......Baltimore has only faced 2 teams that are in the top ten of rushing Tennessee and Oakland...who yes they stopped in the run game....the rest are starting from Pittsburgh, are all at 20 and below in rushing. With 3 of the bottom 20 being in their very own division.

Even the Texans and Jags are above who the Ravens have faced in their own division.

EDIT: Have a head cold, so will apologise for what seems to be a hateful rant...

9. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

someones pissed. head colds suck.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. titans4life10

Agreed, even worse when your at work with no motivation to concentrate at the screen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar