NFL head ref

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big TT, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Perior or whatever his name is admited that the refs blew the Scaif "catch" Monday night. He said not only should the replay ref allowed the review but also that it should have been a catch.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Well, at least he admitted it. I'm guessing the ref/s responsible will be punished somehow. Should make an apology to scaife, because that was an amazing catch, and would have been even for a receiver, but a tight end?

3. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Punished? Refs hardley get punished.

I just wish Jeff would have called a timeout and yelled his lungs out until they reviewed it.

Whats going on with that anyway.. Has Fish even said anything about that call? If i was Jeff, I would be filing grievances, appeals or whatever is usually filed in a situation such as this... and even though i won't get anything out of it, atleast i'll send out a message.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I don't know if he's said anything publicly, but they showed a clip of him having a heated argument with Gerald Austin as they were leaving the field at half time. I can imagine Fisher will have some things to bring up at the next competition committee meeting.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

They get punished, we just don't hear about it like we do with the players.

6. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

I can't understand, why not look at it? Replay is a tool for them to get it right. I know they're not perfect and they're gonna miss calls, some not reviewable, I'm O.K. with that. When you have tools it's crazy not to use them. It's like having an impact wrench but instead use your teeth to take off your lug nuts.

7. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

The one thing that blew me and my buddies away was the fact that the ref had a great view of the catch (he was right there and could blatantly see scaife had his arms under it) and doesn't make the call. Whats even weirder, is that if he was unsure he didn't even ask to review it. THAT is what made me mad. Like guitarjunkie said, if you got the technology to take a look and get it right...why not do it?

8. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

Q&A from Fisher's Monday presser:

"(on his take on Bo Scaife’s diving catch, which was ruled incomplete)

It’s my opinion that it was a catch. Those things happen sometimes. That’s the game –- that’s the human element and human error in the game. It was a catch, it was a great effort, and I just didn’t see any reason why it should not have been reviewed. Whatever the reasons are, I’m sure the league will address it. I would have liked to have seen it work the way it should work, and that’s to go to review and it be overturned.

(on what conversations he will have with the league regarding the lack of review of the play)

I’m not going to discuss any kind of conversation I have with the league office.

(on why the officials didn’t review the play)

Apparently, the replay assistant saw something that led him to believe that the pass was incomplete. That is really all I could surmise."

I'd bet he was on the phone early Tuesday morning to Mike Pereira. The refs are graded each week. We don't hear about it, of course, but those who do well work the better games each week and get a chance to earn more if they are playoff or Super Bowl crews. Those who don't progress work the less critical games and may even earn their way out of the league.

9. Nine

Nine Starter

Yep. Game officials are very much graded on each game's performance. This is how they determine which officials work the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Ron Blum is one guy whose subpar performance cost him his job. He's still a game official, but after working for several years as a referee with his own crew, he was demoted to a lesser position on another crew.....back judge, or something like that.

Tom White was another bad one who was always good for 1-2 blown calls per game. (In fact, White actually got fined for the league for an egregious mistake that directly affected the outcome of a game.) He's retired now, but I strongly suspect that he was give a choice....either retire, or be fired.

My personal favorite referee is Mike Carey. In all my years of watching him call games, I don't remember ever seeing him miss a call, or even disagreeing with his judgement. A HOF official if ever there was one.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

:werd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar