NFL Divisional Games

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Your quote:

My reply:

Its really not hard to read your question and answer it directly, aka "Your typical #1 defense in todays league cannot stop explosive offenses".
    I provided you with the last 4 SB in which 3 ended up doing exactly that. A #1 defense stopping an explosive offense for victory.

2. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Teams with top 5 defenses have won 29 times.

Top 5 offenses have won 27 times.

Teams with top overall defense have won 14 times. Top overall offenses have won 10 times. (Twice a team has had both.)

Teams with non-top 10 defenses have won 7 times. Teams with non-top 10 offenses have won 9 times.

Average defensive rank of a superbowl winner: 5.6 Average offensive rank: 6.1

Per DOA.

My point is in todays league your number #1 defense isnt really stopping a number one defense or holding an offense to under 12 ppg.

When it comes to winning championships – or winning in general, for that matter – defense and offense carry uncannily similar weight. Among the 49 NFL Super Bowls, the better defensive team, measured by points allowed that season, has won 30 times. The better offensive team has won 25 times. It’s a slight edge to defense, but it’s a pretty close call, and not different from random chance. The Super Bowl champ has been a top-five defensive team during the regular season on 31 occasions. How many times was the Super Bowl champ ranked among the top five in offense? 27. Damn near even.

But we’re talking about only 49 games, so let’s broaden the sample size. There have been 462 NFL playoff games held over the last 49 seasons. The better defensive teams have won 58 percent of the time. The better offensive teams have won 62 percent of the time. Slight edge to the offense, but, again, pretty even. (Sometimes the winning team is better both offensively and defensively, which explains why the total exceeds 100 percent.)

What happens when the best offenses line up against the best defenses, if, say, the 2006 Indianapolis Colts had had to face the 2000 Baltimore Ravens? It turns out that 27 Super Bowls have pitted a top-five offense against a top-five defense. The best offensive team won 13 and the best defensive team 14. Another virtual stalemate.

In todays league shoot outs happen often, your typical #1 number defense isnt holding your #1 offense to less than 15 ppg.

If indeed defense wins championships in todays league, how come we see NFL teams build more and more towards the offense than defense?

#272 MariGOATa, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Like QBR, you really have to measure what did the Defense ( or Offense ) do in the actual superbowl run relative to their own offense's contribution, relative to the weight of plays that actually mattered, and relative to the oppositions Offense or Defense. Simply having a great defense going into the game doesn't mean they contributed to the win at all. For example, SF's defense in the 80''s was probably top 5, but so was the offense, so which one really made the difference.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

I agree.

Wich is why I said they should be excluded when comparing top5/top5 since they are both and would not be counted as separate types of winners.

Teams with non-top 10 defenses have won 7 times. Teams with non-top 10 offenses have won 9 times.

Average defensive rank of a superbowl winner: 5.6

Average offensive rank: 6.1

5. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

BUT GUYSSSSSS DONT YOU KNOWWW, DEFENSE WINS!!!!

I DONT WANNA SEE BREES VS BRADY IN THE SUPERBOWL ITS OLD & TIRING OF HOW GREAT THEY ARE

INSTEAD..... I WANNA SEE TWO BORING DEFENSIVE TEAMS GO AT IT IN JAGS & VIKINGS....

Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar