Next four may give Colts chance at 'artistic'

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky "It probably wasn't as artistic as it was emotional."

That's how Tony Dungy summed up the Colts' win in San Diego. IN a broader sense, that might be a fitting description of the Colts' entire season.

We've become accustomed to a lot of artistic wins from Indianapolis. But this season's Colts have shown adaptability while working around serious deficiencies on the offensive line and in the secondary because of injuries en route to a 7-4 record that has the team in control of its playoff fate.

My sense if they've forged something valuable over the past month while winning games by an average of four points. My sense is over the next month, even missing center Jeff Saturday for some or all of it, that we may see some football that qualifies as artistic.

Led by Peyton Manning, the Colts have shown that even when they aren't at their best against good teams, they know how to find ways to win. If that's the case against New England at Pittsburgh and San Diego, I suspect it will be the case at Cleveland, against Cincinnati and Detroit, and at Jacksonville.

The Colts won't go into those games thinking about lesser opponents, but by the fourth quarter the gap in talent and execution should show.

"One of the things I try not to do is read too much into the teams that you're playing and what their records are or what the perception of them is," Dungy said. "The schedule comes out and in May and June people say, 'Oh, they should win these, this is going to be a touch stretch,' and you really never know. You don't know, so you can't assume, 'OK, Pittsburgh, that's going to be tough and San Diego is going to be tough but Cleveland isn't.'

"Cleveland is the only team that has beaten the (NY) Giants all year. They've played well in some Monday Night games. They've been up and down a little bit, but if we think they're not going to play well, we're going to be surprised. That's going to be our M.O., to try to get better and try to improve and try to play a better game this week than we played against San Diego."

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar