Negotiation Moving Slowly with Collins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Kerry Collins says his second career Pro Bowl appearance Sunday means more than his first which was just his second season in the league. "This one definitely means more," Collins said. "I certainly appreciate it much more knowing that it is so hard to get here. And at this point in my career, to be here after all the things that happened between then and now, it's very rewarding" Negotiations to sign Collins, who will become an unrestricted free agent on Feb 27, are moving slowly if at all according to the 36-year old vet. "There's been nothing substantial," Collins said. "There might have been some conversations between my agent and Mike, but nothing to think they are working on anything big."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

I hope he isn't getting ideas of wanting some big money after making the pro bowl. We all have been talking about if we are gonna lose Haynesworth or not but it could be possible someone could offer more money for Collins. That would suck

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Moneywise, signing Collins won't be like re-signing Albert. Only makes sense not to sign him until after the Pro-Bowl. If he gets injured in that game...

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Negotiation Moving Slowly with Collins

Everything moves slowly with Collins.

5. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

It's because every time they call him, he's taking a nap. :lol:

6. bgtitanfan

bgtitanfan Guest

hopefully this wont turn out like brett farve. I would rather keep Big Al then Collins but they thats just me

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

First of all, ask yourself how many teams will Collins likely go to and start. I would say there are maybe eight. Probably less.

Next, of those teams, who has a young QB who they need to play. I'm thinking maybe another 3-5 (Russell, Quinn, Thigpen, Jackson).

So that leaves us with around 3-5 teams I think would want to bring in Collins to start and that might be a stretch.

Minnesota
    Detroit
    San Francisco
    New York Jets (if Favre retires)

Who else?

There could be someone like Garcia who leaves Tampa Bay which may mean something opens up a spot for Collins but Garcia is going to be in higher demand and take one of those other jobs. There are names like Cassel, Losman, Leftwich and Grossman in the mix.

Also, some of the top teams needing QBs now may draft one which means one or two spots may be taken by starting rookies.

So which team in the NFL is going to take Collins, sign him to a three-year deal, ask him to learn a new system, and put him in as their #1?

I don't see it happening.

His best (and only shot, IMO) to be a starting QB in the NFL is with the Titans. If that is his goal, then he needs to sign a three-year deal (which means he is released/retires in two) and is willing to EARN the starting job over Young and Simms. Fisher may want to call him the #1 but if he becomes the turnover machine he's been most of his career, he better be willing to hold a clipboard and stand by Dinger when the starter comes off the field.

The Titans released a much better QB in Steve McNair with a career backup and rookie their only options. Unless they feel Young is a total basket case and Simms isn't worth keeping with a one-year deal to compete for the #1, I don't see Collins with a lot of bargaining power, IMO.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I doubt it would happen, but Arizona if the Cards can't or don't work out a new deal with Warner. I think Collins or Favre would become logical choices, and Kerry would probably be somewhat intrigued by going out as gunslinger. But that brings an interesting question up: will the Cards re-sign both Warner and Boldin? I know they have tons of space, but will they?

In short, I agree, Jeff, Collins doesn't have a lot of bargaining power. Plus, I doubt the hassle of picking up and moving again appeals to him greatly. Right situation, sure, but in general, no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar