NBA Finals: Boston Celtics vs L.A Lakers.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by jessestylex, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Huh? What?

Years ago???... it's only been two years.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you know what, I TOTALLY forgot dwight howard existed when i made that list. I was sitting here trying to think of the lesser known players so i didn't leave anyone off and i neglect the most obvious one.

:gag:

and I'd still take a healthy Yao or Bynum over Howard. neither of those two are a liability at one end of the floor or shooting free throws.

3. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Kinda ridiculous that they try to debate without ever addressing anything anyone says eh? The trademark "if you knew anything you would agree with me" is getting pretty old. =/

Seriously guys, where are the stats? They must exist if you see it so clearly, right?

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

A liability at what end of the floor? Lol. There is nothing that Bynum does better than Howard other than shoot a few percent better at the line. And in what area exactly does Bynum beat Yao? Yao is a beast when healthy.

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

When people say someone is a top 5 center when they aren't talking about Howard or Yao, they mean something like this...

Howard
    Yao
    some other guy

There isn't anyone close to those guys.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You're putting too much into the Finals alone, look at the WCF and ECF and see which teams got helped out in getting to the Finals.
    Something for you to think about. Did you know the NBA's ratings were down this season? Partially because of a horrible 2009 Finals... So keep in mind that the NBA wants and benefits from a 6-7 game Finals. This series also had an added 2.1 million viewers from last years Finals. I wonder why...

If I were you I wouldn't being using the '89 Trail Blazers vs. the Pistons to prove anything. The reason those series were 5 games or less was because the winning team was much superior to their opponent. Let the modern day Kobe Bryant Lakers own the Nets who cares, but let the Lakers battle the Celtics and you have a show. Take a look at each Finals going back to 1990. I know you'll notice the games that went 6 & 7 games were accomplished teams the NBA is built around taking on another top tier team. Yea of course the Bulls with Jordan killed the Lakers in '91, and the Rockets rocked the terrible Magic is '95. It's expected that those better teams win. It's like I was telling you the other day; if the better team comes out and is better then the refs cant get as involved and control the game. Kobe never let the Cavs or Sixer's get going during those Finals. The refs only did so much, but if you're going to stink it up then that's all on the losing team. I can't help but laugh that you don't think what myself and Deuce are saying is true. I've been clear that no one is "fixing" the games, but I've also tried to be clear on how they will and do influence outcomes. Even posters who tend to disagree with Deuce have acknowledged basketball has this issue of refs manipulating games. It's hard to find proof as this would lead to the collapse of what I think is the 2nd best Pro league in America. Videos that have previously been posted show my opinion of the refs to be true. Just watch the games live and you'll see how they pull Ray Allen out of trouble only if he can get going. They did it all week for LeBron when he was still playing.

And lastly look back at the Bulls runs in the 90's. They faced the Jazz twice in a six game series when the Jazz were on top of the league. Same for the Sonics, series was helped to six games because that's what every fan wanted to see. June 2008 I knew we'd be seeing that Finals again, now it's here. November of this current season I knew it would be L.A. vs another hyped team. Basketball is too easy to figure out, that's how the fans can know whats coming just like the refs know whats coming. Difference is the refs have some control. I know you think I'm speculating and not proving anything, but the proof has to be documented first, and these kinds of things have a tendency to stay untouched because they could destroy an industry. There is plenty of video footage you could watch, but I don't think you watch the games so you probably wouldn't bother.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fRPYjdgStns&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fRPYjdgStns&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3fHi0TADk3o&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3fHi0TADk3o&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

7. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

You guys are crazy. The NBA doesn't manipulate the outcome of games through the referees. They do it by hiding a leprechaun in the balls. A magic leprechaun, who controls the flight and bounce of the ball according to text messages from David Stern and/or Stephen Hawking. Don't believe me? Where do you think all that gold from the Cash 4 Gold stores is going? That's right, strait to the NBA's hidden leprechauns. Still don't believe me? Then you just don't know anything about basketball and aren't a hardcore fan.

8. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I seriously just mistook Tuckfro42 for JCBrave.

ps Great post.

9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Like the ORLANDO MAGIC OVER THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!? Talk about ratings. Sure people like Dwight Howard but that's nothing, NOTHING to what a LeBron/Kobe series would have gotten.

You still fail to provide proof, you just assume teams get help from the refs ans go from there. Well I don't assume it happens. Where's some hard core evidence to back you up? Your argument is based on pure speculation and nothing more. Basically you're saying "well if there's a game 6 and it's close in the end the refs will help the team with 2 wins to push it to a 7 game series" yet there's nothing that backs you up, it's only YOUR assertion.

Wow, what a cop out. Bad calls happen in every sport you can't equate that to the refs helping players. And there's just as many people who don't think the NBA is manipulated by referees so that argument is a waste of time. And the reason it's hard to find proof? Hmmm, maybe because it's not happening! Ever think of that? These videos you posted are of bad calls, nothing more. I could find plenty videos of bad calls in football or baseball too, does that mean those sports are fixed as well? And your point about LeBron makes me laugh. How did the refs help LeBron? Not only did he lose that series (so your assertion that the refs helped him makes NO sense whatsoever) but LeBron gets to take around 10 or so free throws in a lot of games he plays, that's nothing new, so for him to take 10 or so in the playoffs is a surprise to nobody except you apparently.

Now as for these dopey videos.

First off yea the Sacramento series was very poorly officiated but it's an isolated incident. Ever seen a series officiated that badly before or since? Nope. And Tim Donaghy is a moron, he has no credibility, he's not the Jose Conseco of the NBA spreading truth, he's just a loser with a gambling problem. Who, by the way, never fixed games only leaked inside information. And what's the point of listing the top markets at the end? Yea because clearly the NBA is favoring the Knicks and Clippers. Besides the Spurs destroys the argument that small market teams cant win. Showing a picture of Jack and a caption of "Follow the $$$$" does little to convince me, if anything it's comical to think it would convince anyone. Oh and Rasheed making a point about the refs, yea like I'm going to listen to Rasheed Wallace who is the #1 complainer in the NBA. Of course he's going to b**ch about the refs, it's what he does.

The second video is even less convincing than the first. OK so the FBI asked Dick Bavetta questions. Did anything come of it? No? Then why mention it. Then it goes on to say how Bavetta manipulated the 99 Knicks/Pacers series. OK well the following year the Pacers beat the Knicks so maybe, just maybe the teams were just good and evenly matched and not influenced by the refs! Could it be!? As for the end, I honestly laughed out loud. David Stern and Richard Nixons faces together lol. Whoever made that video has almost certainly never had a girl friend and has WAY to much time on his hands. I really hope you weren't relying on that video as proof of anything.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

That's actually funny, but you being cute is where that came from.

More than just me and Deuce feel the games in basketball have more ref involvement than other sports. It matters none to me that eddy doesn't want to learn something, but it's a reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar