My Off-season Plan

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by THE_TITAN, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

A realistic mock off-season. Tommy Smith does not want to break up the old-boy's club of Webster and Whiz and so they stay on. The main areas of concern are all levels of the defense as well as the offensive line.

Release:

Andy Levitre - his terrible play and large contract earns him a one-way ticket outta Nashville.
    Kamerion Wimbley - another poor free agent acquisition on a big contract says bye bye.
    Shonn Greene - not needed.
    Craig Stevens

Re-sign:

Michael Roos OT (3 years) - Roos gets to finish his great career in Nashville. He'll take over the mantle at right tackle and provide stellar play. Lewan will become the full time blind side protector.
    Derrick Morgan OLB - short-term deal.
    Brett Kern P - solid punter.
    Ryan Succop K - we could do better at kicker but could also do a lot worse.
    Karl Klug DE - useful player to have on the roster
    George Wilson SS - another useful player.
    Quentin Groves OLB - special teams leader.
    Derek Hagan WR
    Chase Coffman TE

Free Agency:

Brian Orakpo - OLB - 4yrs: Coming off injury troubles but Orakpo has elite ability and his recent injury problems will likely give us a cut price. Then again he will still command a large contract but it's worth an investment with our large cap room.

Torrey Smith - WR - 5yrs: Give Smith a big contract to get a wideout that can finally stretch the field and complement Kendall Wright's skills.

Rob Housler - TE - 3yrs: Housler is having a down-year but the guy has great ability and can be brought in to try and find a legitimate back-up for Delanie Walker

Buster Skrine - CB - 4yrs: Fits the Horton defense and will beat out BWW.

Draft (using first-pick website):

Rd 1: Leonard Williams - DE - USC: Williams provides a dominant presence for us on the defensive line. Probably the best player in the draft he gets his chance to pair with former Trojan Jurrel Casey. The Titans will be looking for a JJ Watt-type impact.

Rd 2: Gerod Holliman - S - Louisville: A big-hitter to give us some real presence in our secondary. First round talent so is a steal in the second.

Rd 3: Arie Kouandjio - OG - Alabama: Replaces Levitre on the line.

Rd 4: Andy Gallik - C - Florida State: Schwenke has injury issues and his play most likely fits as a guard. Gallik takes over.

Rd 5: Ben Heeney - ILB - Kansas: Will compete with ZB for the starting spot.

Rd 6: Sean Mannion - QB - Oregon State: Tall, big-arm developmental QB.

Projected Roster: (starters in bold)

QB: Mettenberger, Whitehurst, Mannion
    RB: Sankey, Andrews, McCluster, Seastrunk
    WR: Smith, Wright, Hunter, Hagan
    TE: Walker, Housler, Thompson, Coffman
    RT: Roos, Jones
    RG: Warmack, Schwenke
    C: Gallik, Ikard
    LG: Kouandjio
    LT: Lewan, Oher

DE: Williams, Pitoitua, Jones
    NT: Hill, Woods
    DE: Casey, Klug
    OLB: Orakpo, Groves
    ILB: Brown, Heeney, Gooden
    ILB: Williamson, Woodyard
    OLB: Morgan, Moch
    CB: McCourty, Skrine, BWW, Sensabaugh, Huff
    FS: Holliman, Griffin
    SS: Pollard, Stafford, Wilson

LS: Brinkley
    P: Kern
    K: Succop

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

You're missing Oher under release.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

How many times do people have to say Wimbley is no longer on a big contract?

If Wimbley is cut, it is strictly for a roster spot.

4. kenny

kenny Starter

If we only get one OLBer this offseason I will be pissed. This is a huge hole in our defense and needs to be addressed aggressively.

One thing I have never understood is the Titans devoting a roster spot to long snapper. It is not that large of a position that another back up olineman could not handle it. If we do not have someone capable we need to be planning a back up pick up that can provide depth on the depth on the oline & handle the LS duties as well. Not doing so is wasting a roster spot IMO & we are not a team that have that luxury.

5. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

I like what you're saying for the most part, but we don't need to re-sign Morgan. He's got 1 year left on his rookie deal.

6. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

So what happens when our back up guard costs us games long snapping over the punters head and the third string safety/guard/qb that never sees the field who took the ls roster spot is jus bench warming

7. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

I like that we went Defense heavy, but realistically speaking it is hard for me to see that happening. Since Web has taken over I think we have stuck with the direction that we will focus on Offense.

Personally I may like that. Focus on one aspect, get it right then move on. However, we have wiffed on a couple now.

8. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I would definitely say no to Orakpo unless he came at the price the Seahawks got Avril and Bennett for.

Same goes for Torrey Smith. I'd much rather draft Amari Cooper. If we can get both somehow then great, but Smith is not amazing by any means, and we shouldn't overpay for him.

Unfortunately in order to attract vets to sign with the measly Titans, we pretty much have to overpay.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. Wolverine

Wolverine Starter

Holliman can't tackle....

10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I would bring in AP or Lynch in a heartbeat... and before people say they're spent or we'd take a PR hit with AP, we're irrelevant so we need a couple big time players. They're also the type of RBs that can make do with a scrub OL because they have power.

And this is the south where apparently plenty of parents use switches on their kids and justify it... so the fan base, as a whole, probably wouldn't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar