My boy runs a 4.38 40

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RyansTitans, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Last time I checked, 4.38 is not under 4. American math may be different though.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You got a couple of years to find out :))

3. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Well, the only thing Ginn has going for him is his supposed speed. That time is considerably slower than what I thought he would have ran. He isn't even the fastest guy in this draft. He probably doesn't even make the top 5 (or 10) with that time. What is left for him? He can't block, can't catch, isn't polished, bad route runner, injury risk, isn't particularly big, low production considering his qb, low yac, low ypc, and now he doesn't even have the elite track speed that we thought he had. He might make a good return man though gg.

Comparing Ginn's 40 to Bowe and Jarrett is dumb. They aren't speed receivers. Congratulations, he had a better 40 time than 2 of the slowest receivers in the draft. I thought Meachem ran that same 40 time btw...

I think Ginn would probably beat Johnson in a 10 yard race, but CJ smoked him in the 40 and if they ran anything farther than 40 yards, I suspect the difference would increase.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

1. I read this thread title, without seeing who posted it, and thought "But is he stronger than Keith Bulluck?"

2. Calvin didn't use someone else's shoes, he explained later that a friend had borrowed a pair of his shoes, and he went and got them back and ran it.

3. Ryanstitans, don't argue that Ginn is the fastest WR when his 40 times are slower than 2 other WRs, unless you have some kind of argument to back it up besides "you must be on crack." 40 Times are the standard speed measurement, it's what we have to compare, so either argue another point, or move on.

5. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Well I've had two weeks noe to confirm that the bread is disgusting and the cheese is gross.

The beer is also very ordinary, but I already knew that from past experience.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I'll send you some Sunblest and Vegemite.

7. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

You have to be a world class sprinter to catch Ginn if he gets passed you...

dont sit here and tell me that I dont know that Ginn is the fastest reciever when Ive watched every single Ohio State Buckeyes football games since 1999

They've all come and gone and no one is faster then Ginn.

His 40 time was bad because of the injury to his foot.

Without injury it would have been at least a 4.2 or less.

Why in the world would anyone pass up on someone like him? I mean come on.. If hes soo bad as you guys say he is why is he even being talked about all over the place about being a potential round 1 pick?

He obviously has gained intrest from teams and I could almost guarentee you that some of our scouts have said "Hey look at this Ginn kid."

I seriously can not wait for next season.. I cant wait to come back on all these threads and find what you all said about how garbage hes going to be at reciever in the NFL.

And like Ive said countless time.. If somehow he falls to 19 .. which I dont expect him too.. (If I was Mamai at 6 id take him in a heart beat).. and we draft him.. and he beasts all over and gets around 700-1000 yards , you guys better not start making Ginn sigs , and say oh I love this kid , this kid is awesome.

16 days....

8. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

When his top supporter is lacking faith (700-1000 yards is the best you got? lol), it tells you a little something. If he is so fast, where was the dominant ypc and yac? If he is so fast, where were all the yards and TD's? If he is so fast, why wasn't he the best receiver on his own team? 4.2 or less? Paaaalease. He might get a 4.29 on his best day.

All evaluations aside, there is no way I can tell you he won't be an NFL stud. All I have to look at are probabilities. I can tell you that his intangibles don't seem to match up with other players who are pro bowl caliber in the NFL. Does that mean he will never make the pro bowl? Nope. But I think it's far less likely than some of the other receivers... namely CJ, Bowe, Meachem, Gonzalez, and Rice.

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Watching ever Ohio State game will show you a lot about Ginn. It doesn't show you anything about the other WRs that we're talking about. The only way to compare their speed directly is to look at their 40 times. Why in the world do you think he would be able to run a 4.2? If you have any evidence of him ever being that fast (not just that you saw him at a game and he was really just very very fast), please, enlighten us. OF COURSE YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE A WORLD CLASS SPRINTER TO CATCH GINN IF HE PASSED YOU! He's a top tier college athelete! If he passes you, that means you have to be significantly faster than him to catch him. There are only a few people in the world that could do that, and none of them play in the NFL. However, that statement could also be made about Calvin.

Next, I'm not hating on Ginn. I actually think he's probably going to be a decent pro receiver. Never on this board have I made any statement that I think he'll fail or would be particularly pissed if we drafted him. If we draft him and he does well, I certainly will be cheering for him. My statements are about your arguments. You said he's clearly the faster WR. That's just not true. It doesn't mean he won't be successful, it doesn't mean I'm against him. It just mean that I don't think you have any real basis for saying that he's faster than the two other WRs that have run faster 40 times than he has. Don't take my statements to be more than they are. Everyone doesn't have to agree with everything you say in order to agree with you about other things.

The best thing you said was that his injury slowed his 40 time. Maybe that's true, it's hard to quantify, and it's been 3 months. We don't have any times from before the injury to compare. However, even if he was faster before the injury, that doesn't mean that he'll ever be that fast again. The best evidence that we have now says that he can run a 40 in 4.38 seconds. That's what he (and you) are stuck with.

10. Titantonic

Titantonic Camp Fodder

Actually, they were his shoes that he had loaned to someone else and he just got them back. It was initiallly mis-reported and has now become internet legend. Doesn't change the fact that the dude is really big and can flat-out fly, has great hands and apparently is a man of character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar