Munchak: Hasselbeck to start vs. Seahawks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

anyone know if this game will viewable anywhere OTHER than the nfl network?

2. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

You can stream it.

3. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

It's not possible to have them play a quarter each, or more? I've never seen a "QB Competition" that one guy got treated like the clear starter and the other got treated like the expendable backup.

Please, the fix is in.

4. Clark

You may be right, but I'm gonna hold on to my hopes. My thinking is that since this is the first preseason game, easing the team in. It wouldn't surprise me to see longer playing time for each in the 2nd or 3rd games.

5. Clark

As long as locker gets at least the same amount of drives with the first team, then it's equal. If he has to play with the second team the entire time, I'll be upset.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The fix for who? I picture you typing with an aluminum foil helmet on to protect yourself from those invisible helicopters. Don't you think you're reading too much into this?

They've split time as #1s throughout camp. Munch is starting Hasselbeck in the city he played the bulk of his career in. Big freakin' deal. He'll give Hass a series or two depending on how well the offense does and will go to Locker. He plans on keeping the #1s in for Locker. We'll probably see more Locker than Hass if he does well.

Next week, I guarantee Locker will start.

As for Hasselbeck playing more than a series or two, why would Munch want him in longer? He knows what Hasselbeck can do. Why risk a injury?

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

I've got a different theory which I hope proves correct.

We have heard Locker is showing himself to be better in recent equal time competition of practice/scrimmage.

Munch starts Hass to see if his accuracy /judgement improves any. Plays him the traditional two series effort. Puts in Locker to see if he can sustain his keener judgement/accuracy in an extended play situation. No initial controversy and much better situation to help make real call at start of season.

Hopefully, I'm not just being optimistic. We shall see.

8. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I don’t understand all of this complaining. What did you guys want, for them both to be on the field at the same time? Someone HAD to start. And I don’t think it’s a bad decision. I know if I was on a new team and went to play my old team, I sure would want to play in that game. I think Munch knows how he’d feel in that position and is letting Hass start so he can be introduced in front of the Seattle crowd and they can cheer when his name is called. That type of thing is important to players.

Munch still said they’d see about the same amount of time. 15-20 plays for Hass and Locker would finish the half. I don’t understand how some of you see this as Hasselbeck being the clear favorite.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Obviously someone has to start, I have no problem with whoever starts as long as they are switching off games and playing equal snaps. The problem I have is Munch said Hasselbeck will play ten plays (2 series) and then Locker will have til halftime. That's the exact same distribution Denver used with Peyton and Hanie, Washington used with Griffin and Grossman, and every other team that ISN'T having a QB competition.

And I don't understand this "Munch knows what hasselbeck can do" reasoning. So we're basing the competition off last year? Then why is there any doubt that Locker is the guy? Hasselbeck was terrible for the last 9 weeks of 2011. If Munch knows what he can do, which isn't much, why is he starting tomorrow night or even getting first team reps at all?

If Hass and Locker were really in a level playing field competition, Hass would start and get x amount of snaps and locker would get the same amount. And then next week Locker would start and vice versa until someone has won the competition. The fact that Hass is getting treated like the clear cut starter of the Tennessee Titans week 1 shows clear favoritism. Shocker, Fisher product coaches just like Fisher.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Manning played ONE series. Griffin played more because he's a rookie and needs experience. If Griffin had years of NFL experience, he'd played only one series. Otherwise, why risk an injury?

In part, yes. This is more about where Locker is in his development and whether or not he's ready to be the #1.

Over the entire preseason, I suspect they will. But to keep Locker in there with backups is going to skew his production. No way the Titans want to play their #1s into the second half.

I guess you think Munch is splitting camp reps just to create the impression there's a competition when he's already made a decision regardless of what either Hass or Locker do over the next month?

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar