Rumor Mularkey offered extension

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Jan 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

Nice to see a voice of reason. Do any of you believe that AAS did this without consulting JRob? If MM stays you can bet he's going to find a QB that can run an offense and stay on the field. VY was the end of Fisher. I don't think it happens again. We have done about everything possible to surround M8 with talent. You can't ruin a team for one player. He has had 3 years to develop. If you are shocked MM was retained, stay tuned. You can't complain about poor M8 and want a SB in the same breath. Decide which is more important. The honeymoon is over. Someone has to produce.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

We won at KC in spite of Mularkey not because of Mularkey. I was there. His scheme didn't call for a play for Mariota to throw to himself. Or for Reid to keep throwing the ball instead of handing off to the league's leading rusher.

We have a reasonable amount of talent on the offense. But we can't score more than 22 points on our best day. And we run in the mid teens. Mularkey's antiquated scheme is too easy to defend.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Do you even know football? When Mariota is healthy we're running a good deal of regular option and run-pass option football. That's not antiquated, it's actually the latest "fashion" in the NFL. But it only works when your QB doesn't have gimpy wheels.

4. Riverman

Do you? because all I hear from you is that nobody knows football, nobody is watching, our system (scheme) is standard for the NFL we just call bad plays....blah....blah...blah. You're no more an expert than anybody else. We haven't run offense that is tailored to our franchise QB's strengths. Neither your nor I have to be an expert. I'm not paid to run the team, I'm paying to see a competitive team. And by that, I mean one that is competitive against quality opponents, not just the weak schedule league parity teams, or teams that already locked in to the playoffs w/ little to play for.

Every chitty team runs a "mostly standard scheme". The problem people have with Mularkey and his scheme is lack of RESULTS. And the injury bug only goes so far. The bunch sets ARE EASILY DEFENDED. This is the NFL. There has to be some unpredictability in a scheme. You really talking me that having a 2 WR set is playing to Mariota's strengths?

Mularkey is a nice guy, a stand up "old school" guy. I'll give him that. But when has his scheme EVER really worked, and worked consistently? He blames player execution. He blames injury. The guy is recalcitrant to change and adaptability.

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

At least nothing has been signed yet. It is still in negotiation. Let’s hope coaching upgrades are a big part of that negotiation. Obviously Mike is trying to set the table publically with his comments, but that doesn’t mean he will get his way on that. Fingers crossed and Titans Facebook hopelessly battered...

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

15 years playing competitive football, 4 years coaching LBs and 2 years a DC. Expert is a subjective term, but yeah I think I have know football more than the average fan.

Really? So an offense based on the option, strong run game and short to intermediate routes isn't tailored to Mariota? Then please tell me what kind of offense is....

Lack of results?!?!? Are you for real? Mularkey took this team to the divisional game and you're talking about lack of results? Oh but I forget the talent is so good on this team, the coaches actually prevented them from winning the Superbowl...

Again what unpredictability did the Patriots and the beloved McDaniels use against us? They didn't do anything unexpected except 2 trick plays that I remember. Brady is just really good at reading the defense pre-snap and adjusting the play to attack it's weakness. Mariota is not at that level.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

MM literally said our OC did a great job and has no plans to change anything. Check his last press conference.

8. Riverman

OK That explains a lot. I see now that Mularkey is an excellent coach and that there is really nothing to do differently. And Mularkey’s lack of success at each of his HC stops is simply due to chance. And quick turnarounds and perennial playoff success is random and not a product of coaching or scheme because Mularkey is just as solid as other coaches. And paying fans should never expect more than barely beating crappy teams and Titans fans are unrealistic to expect this franchise to enjoy perennial or at least great runs at a championship level.

Because you’re an expert albeit, no longer actively employed (which I sincerely doubt you ever were) in the profession. OK- thanks for straightening me out on that.

Mularkey is what he is. Barely average. Get real. Your “experience” has blinded with coach love.

9. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

How many options does Mariota really have relative to Brady? 13 of his throws were to RBs. I doubt we run that many plays a game in which the RB is an option. NE's offense is designed to isolate players in favorable matchups. Ours is designed to have 3 guys running in the same area of the field allow defenses to concentrate coverage into a smaller area within the field. Mariota can't call plays to attack the weakness of a defense if there are none to call.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I never said he can't improve. People can always improve.

Then I take it you don't want McDaniels either. After all his lack of success at his previous HC stop wasn't due to chance either.

Depends on your definition of random. A "quick turnaround" (however you want to define that, some may say a playoff win 2 years after a 3-13 season is a quick turnaround) requires a combination of many things, players and coaches included.

Sorry if you took my statement to mean I have been employed by the NFL. I have not, never will (the hours are awful). But the fundamentals of football are the same at every level. The higher you get the more detail goes into planning and preparation and obviously the players skills and physical abilities increase. But football is football.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar