MLB Team to Tennessee?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dtm586, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

There's no way Middle Tennessee could support a major league baseball team. From what I've heard, a MLB team needs to draw in the neighborhood of 30,000 fans per game, or more, to be financially viable.

Nashville has had minor league teams for decades and has problems supporting AAA ball, averaging less than 10,000 fans per game in a shorter season. They'll have a AAA franchise for a while, then AA for a while, then AAA again. But if they can't remain as a viable market for a AAA team on a long-term basis, nobody will invest the money to put a MLB team in Nashville.

You should also remember that Nashville nearly lost its hockey team a few years ago, because they weren't averaging 14,000 fans or so per game. That's something else a potential MLB owner would consider before putting a team here. They will also consider the fact that the city council has been reluctant to build a new ballpark for minor league baseball, so you can imagine they'll also balk at funding a major league park. And no, please don't bring up the idea that a MLB team could share LP Field with the Titans.

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I don't think a MLB team could sustain here. At least not yet. And Alex is absolutely right about the money required to be successful.

Personally, I don't care for baseball. Never really have. But if we had a pro team I'd do my best to get into it, at least casually. Although I'd much rather see the Grizzlies in Nashville than a MLB team.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

This thread pretty much sums up why we don't have one.

I'll just co-sign.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

http://nashville.gov/mayor/docs/ballpark/SiteEvaluationStudy.pdf
    very interesting read for those interested (large .pdf)

here's the study of proposed Sounds sites. the plans do not call for facilities to support MLB.
    many locations such as the PSC metals site, at the foot of the Shelby Bridge. the old transfer plant site at Gateway Bridge. Sulphur Dell at the Capital Mall. several locations on Charlotte Pike one at Opryland, Jefferson Street, over behind the Music City Center, etc...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

wow im surprised no love for baseball at all ...

me and my friends are hooked on fantasy baseball its better than fantasy football and wayyyyyyyyyy better than fantasy bball ... maybe that helps us keep interested in baseball plus living out in the bay area (SF Giants and OAK A's) this is a huuuuge baseball market - u guys in tennessee arn't used to any baseball out there unless you travel to Hot-Lanta so I guess thats why there is all this hate for baseball out there lol but ehh all good I was just wondering

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I hate baseball not because the nearest pro team is Atlanta, but because it sucks.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

7. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Baseball was my favorite sport growing up. I was about 30 miles west of Knoxville and my dad would take me to about a dozen AA games a year. I loved it. Then they moved from the middle of Knoxville to a new stadium about 20-30 miles east of Knoxville and it was no longer viable for me to go. Now as an adult, I don't go in part because I'm bitter on them moving the team when I was a kid.

I'm also about 3 hours with minimal traffic from Turner Field in Atlanta. I've probably been to about 50 Braves games in my life. Even with all their success and popularity from all the TBS coverage, I can't remember going to a game when the place wasn't half empty...be it the playoffs, opening day, or just a random game. It seems like the only time the place really does well is when they play the Yankees or Red Sox.

...and dtm, since you are a Bay area guy and a baseball fan, I went to college with long time Angels reliever Scot Shields. I think he was one of only a handful of MLB'ers that actually had a college degree.

8. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

lol whats that got to do with me being a baseball fan in the Bay Area?

9. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Heh. For some reason, I was thinking Oakland....I guess I was maybe mixing baseball and football.

10. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

ha hmm all good yah i was a little confused for a minute

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar