MLB Playoff Race

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TheSureThing, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Being a Nat fan I don't have the excitement like some others may have to see my team competing for a Playoff spot. But this is the most exciting time of the Baseball season. So heres what we got this season:

The lovable losers - The Tampa Bay Rays and the Minnesota Twins, but I want to focus more on the Rays, because they have a payroll of 43.8mil and are not only competing, but stomping on the Yankees who have a Payroll of 200mil+ and the Redsox who have a payroll of 160mil+. The Twins are doing it with a low budget as well, and my favorite pitcher in the league, Francisco Liriano is 3-0 since being called up from the minors after starting the season 0-3. If they can hold off the White Sox that would be something special, as much as I love Ken Griffey, I love the twins too and this might be there only shot..

The Usual Suspects - The Los Angeles Angels are the best team in baseball with the best record in the AL. They have the most complete lineup and are almost a lock to win the ALCS. The Boston Redsox, although not in familiar fashion, will make the playoffs, likely under the label "Wild Card". But nonetheless these teams will bet there as usual.

Surprise...Kind of - Chicago Cubs hold the leagues best record, I still think they are cursed but I have talked to cubs fans and they feel all the pieces are in place to win the World Series. Do I buy it? No. But you can't deny stats and they do have the best record....

Tight Races - The closest race in the MLB is the NL East showdown between the Marlins, Phillies, and Melts...I mean Mets. The Mets currently lead the division by 1 and 1/2 over the Phillies, and 2 games over the Marlins If I remember correctly, then the Nationals are an estimated 33.0 GB. This is a race likely to go down to the final week of the Season. I still think the Phillies have to much firepower not to be in the playoffs, and we all know the mets will fail, but the Marlins have Hanley and hes good for consideration.

Another Semi-Close race includes the slug fest between the Chicago Cubs and the Milwaukee Brewers. Ever since acquiring CC the Brewers have been rolling, It was either that or Prince Fielder getting in a skirmish with RHP Parra in the dugout fueling this incredible season, If I were a gambler, I would put my money on the acquisition of CC Sabathia, hes been a stud, 7-0 with an ERA under 2 since joining the NL, the guy is a fat beast :ha:

Rounding out the Close races include the Diamond Backs and the newly owned Los Angeles Dodgers. Yes, the Dodgers have a new owner, he goes by the name of Manny Ramirez. Basically Torre told Ramirez, cut your hair, Ramirez said shut up and hold my bat, and Torre sat down and held his bat. The Dodgers had to know what they were dealing with when they Brought Manny in, but on the bright side of LA, Ramirez has single handedly raised the team from the grave and are all of the sudden tied with the Diamondbacks in Mid August for that amazingly horrid NL West. But don't count on any of these teams to be there in the octoberfest, remember the Rockies are still banking to win 21 out of 22 to end the season and win the NLCS, count on that.

My Predictions - I've got the Rays, Redsox, Twins, and Angels in the AL. And the Phillies, Dodgers, Cubs, and Brewers in the NL. Overall I think the Angels are to powerful to fall to the likes of the Twins and Rays who's payrolls don't even combine to reach my fathers age, and the Redsox are there only real threat, but with home field advantage I don't trust the Sox to win on the road. Angels for the AL. Then I like the Phillies to make a run and eclipse the Dodgers/Cubs/Brewers to the World Series. So give me the Phillies and Angels, with LA having home field, I'll take the Angels in 5.

2. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I'm not to thrilled about this playoff race because NY isn't looking too good. So with football starting up and NY looking bad I'm losing a lot of interest. I would like the NL to win because the teams in contention in the AL I strongly dislike. Except the Twins nothing against them or the Sox but I doubt either of them go far.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

The Cubs vs the Angels. I am a Cubs fans, but they are clearly the best team in the NL. The Diamondbacks scare me in a 5 game set because of their pitching, but overall there is little to no reason the Cubs shouldnt represent the NL in the world series. The Angels are the best AL team, but the Rays and Red Sox are at least close enough to beat them in a playoff series. But I still say Cubs vs Angels.

4. maximus

maximus Starter

As the resident Rays fan, I am very happy in the way the season has progressed. I've been a casual fan since day 1. But TN/KY doesn't get much in the way of Rays coverage. Plus, they've been downright horrid.
    I'm hoping that Price will come back strong from his first minor league loss in AAA to win a couple and gets called up in September. The Rays could use his arm for the race.
    Hopefully Crawford and Longoria can make it back in time as well. With one of the best farm systems in baseball, the sky looks like it COULD be getting higher.
    I think it's a 50-50 chance that we win the division. I'm still not sold that the youngun's could get a little excited. The loses of Percival, Crawford, and Longoria, sure didn't help

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I think the RedSox are going to make a comeback. They're on fire right now and I think the Rays will flop.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

How about them Astros. 3 games out. wow. They were left for dead.

7. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Red Sox will at least get the WC. Astors are looking good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar