Missing pieces of the puzzle

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

You might do that in later rounds, but when you have a pretty good team already, you start filling immediate needs. WR is not one of them.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

picking for need is what got us in the hole in the first place.

3. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

1. New Defensive Coordinator. Let's start a wishlist.

2. A DE specializing in rushing the passer, who is excellent as his work. KVB is getting eatten alive lately.

3. A DT who can plug the middle and protect the LBs.

4. A WR with solid hands, good route-running in the mold of Derrick Mason.

5. A WR who can stretch the field

6. A MLB that can be Plan B if Tulluch falters next season.

7. A new starting FS that has competant skills. That's all I want...

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

excellent point.

Draft difference makers. Average players are readily available.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

We have plenty of spots we could upgrade, but a lot will be determined by who is still here and who we add.

Since we are pretty much out of the CJ running, I think I'd be happiest with a DE. I want another look at some in bowl games.

6. giddyupzil

giddyupzil Camp Fodder

Out of these options...

an elite WR ?
    a beast DE ?
    a monster MLB ?
    secondary ?
    coaching ?
    scheming ?
    talent management ?

The two biggest needs are A Beast DE and A Monster MLB.

7. Dream34

Dream34 Guest

Needs for the future:

1) Pick up Tony Gonzalez in Free Agency- Tony is just the type of free agent that is considered a leader (the type that Floyd has liked to sign like the ones from last year) and has just enough gas in his tank to help our offense continue to grow. Everyone clamoring for a #1 receiver can just calm down. Remember we paid #1 WR money to Givens this off-season. Granted he is out and we overpaid for him but he is our #1 WR. I really think Brandon Jones is our #1 WR and I think we should resign Bobby Wade. I think he helps in the kick return game and is a dependable receiver. I think Drew is going to get paid this off-season and the Titans will not be in his ball park. I think it is time to see what we have in Courtney Roby and Roydell Williams and they will get their chance next off-season (especially if Drew leaves). I think the Titans will draft their speedster WR in the draft (they really need someone that can burn a defense). Will get to this later.

2) Free Agent Acquisition # 2 - Asante Samuel - Again another quality free agent (with no off the field issues) from a winning team that fills an immediate need. R. Hill provides nice depth in case of injury but having Pac and Samuel would be very nice. Having quality corners will only help to upgrade our D-Line. Plus, having Samuels provides the Titans some depth insurance in case Pac does something crazy and gets suspended.

3) Free Agent Acquisition #3 - Adalius Thomas - It is time to go up to Baltimore and get some of their talent for a change. The obvious concern with A. Thomas is his age and getting a big money contract. However, his flexability in being able to cover so many positions is a huge, huge, plus. I mean is the football equivalent to a utility player. I think this is a big advantage to the defense (as it provides depth) in the event of injury to one of our linebackers. Plus he could be the speed rusher we are looking for.

4) Draft/1st round pick - I think it really depends on who is available. Hard to say at #22. I really do not see the Titans drafting a safety as they feel good with Lowery/Fuller and I think Thompson will hopefully be moved to the bench or just cut outright (not sure based on Fishers loyality to his veterans). Would not mind getting a quality DT or DE for more depth. Patrick Willis could be interesting. But with K. Bulluck and David Thornton, plus the promise of our rookie LB I doubt they will go in that direction. I personally feel if Tedd Ginn, Jr is there we should grab him. That kind of speed is just what we need on offense. He is a burner with that other gear (the Reggie Bush and Devin Hester gear). I think Ginn is going to be gone within the first 15 picks. But think about it. I understand that he is raw. But he would not have to come in right away be the #1 WR. He could be brought along slowly but he would contribute right away in the kickoff/punt return games. This could give Pac a much needed breather. Plus if PAC were to get injured our special teams would not suffer.

5) Other Draft Picks - The Titans need to draft a center as was mentioned earlier to learn behind Kevin Mawee. Plus add another offense lineman who can back-up either Stewart or Roos. We should use the draft to build our offensive line depth. Remember many of us thought earlier in the year that we needed wholesale line changes but this is really not the case as Roos, Stewart and Bell have all well exceeded my expectations. (So at least 2-3 of our draft picks should be the O-line). We could also use two picks on D-Line. Another linebacker who can help on special teams. Of course, another corner. Last but no least we need to get Norm Chow a true third down scat back.

Sorry for being so long winded but I think that wraps up my off season wish list.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I doubt we address what ails this defense through the top of the draft. It will take FA and the draft. Whether we pick a DE, CB or S in the first doesn't even mean that person will start. Say we draft Leon Hall, for instance. No guarantee he will outperform Reynaldo Hill and make a difference. I expect the Titans will extend offers to Nate Clements, Adalius Thomas and maybe Dwight Freeney, depending on whether or not Indy gives him the franchise tag. Say we land Clements and Thomas, then really the only thing we want to upgrade immediately is safety (Thompson). We might even have his replacment on the roster currently.

The Titans will have a draft board, and they will consider their options based on who is available at that point.

WR is the only real possible offensive choice for round one aside from O-line, IMO, and we know our guys typically don't like to do that.

And so you know, Chow will push hard if Dwayne Jarrett is around when we pick. Someone of Jarrett, Ginn, the Bowe kid from LSU, Rice maybe, will make our war room pause for consideration in round one.

Also, back in 2000, the defense was loaded, but we still took Keith Bulluck at pick #30. So, you never know. And I wouldn't exactly call our offense "loaded" either.

I'll be happy either way, but I think they'll rank DE as more of a priority than CB and the tops at those positions will be gone by our pick. They'll try first to fix those two issues through FA I'll guarantee, and if they do, the door is open to take a WR.

9. Bennett83

Bennett83 Guest

I'd settle for drafting football players, not 'athletes with potential'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar