Missed Super Bowl Opportunity Forever on the Minds of Titans Fans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: For the Titans fan, the image of WR Kevin Dyson being tackled one yard short will forever be burning into their mind. Six years later, it is difficult for many to look back to the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history when the Titans came up short on that final play and lost to the Rams 23-16. Among the highlights for Titans fans was RB Eddie George fighting his way into the endzone for a two-yard touchdown and QB Steve McNair avoiding Rams DE Kevin Carter as he hit Dyson for a 16-yard completion to set up the final play from the Rams 10 with :06 left in the game. "We did everything we could to give ourselves a chance to win," said Titans Coach Jeff Fisher. "We went for two, we went for it on fourth down. We got within six inches of having an opportunity."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Six inches? It was a lot longer than that.

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

must be something about the number 87. Everyone on the Titans who wears it is doomed to be an underachiever.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Would somebody please unplug that news bot. :p

5. Lumebray

Lumebray Virtus Et Honor

yeah, the worst football game to watch, 1 yard short. a bunch of bs

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Beautiful but painful...

1999 was an absolutely beautiful time despite the pain of that loss because i just assumed that this team would be back to the super bowl at least 2 more times. Here you had one of the youngest coaches in the league and his two prized players, his first 2 round one picks. It was like these three guys grew up together fisher, eddie and steve. And who would have thought they would never get back to a super bowl together?

So the real pain to me is not just that horrible yard we came short but the fact, that we never made it back there. For starters i would have never thought that eddie would be done as a top quality back after just one more year. And i absolutely believed that steve mcnair was going to blow up the league. Sure he had a fine career but i really thought this guy was going to be something even more than that. An unstopable super star.

I honestly think that the loss to the ravens was more painful.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

it was just the way we lost. we were the more talented team.

8. maximus

maximus Starter

The game and the highlights of the game are still hard for me to watch. I knew from the time the game ended that we would find ourselves in Superbowl 35, and when the Ravens ended the bid for the Superbowl in 2000, it was even more painful. I havent watched a majority of any of the Superbowl games since

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

whoo, I was just happy to get there. Since it's not looking like we're gonna get there in the near future, I think going back to '99 looks pretty desirable right about now.:winker:

10. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

It only took 3,402 posts, but I finally agree with something you said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar