Mike Williams is Making the Most of "Last Chance"

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

The Spikes signing would be a good one because like Spikes, Fowler has been hurt and we don't know how good Tulloch is. So maybe if we do sign Spikes we'd have 3 good MLB's.

2. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

lendale talking from experience.

4. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

"I'm not trying to be a #3 or #4 kinda guy..."

It sounds like the attitude is there. Should be very interesting to see how everything pans out.

By the way, 230 or 270, he is just an enormous guy for a WR. His shoulders are huge.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I'm looking forward to seeing training camp. I hope he sticks until then. I'm going drive up for a couple of them this year.

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I don't know why more of these guys haven't thought of lyposuction, I mean. I wouldn't know, but I imagine it's pretty damn hard to lose 30 lbs if you are a lazy SOB, but you know these dudes have an extra 10k laying around to just get it cut out. Just wondering, it would seem easier to just do it once and then start over and get back on a good system not only help out your lower joints.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

there has to be some health concerns with it.

8. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Frankly I think that'd be potentially damage to your spot on the roster. The coaches might look at two similar players and say, 'well 'player a' worked his butt off to get better, while 'player b' got lypo...' I'd be more inclined to go 'a'.
    I know your point is how much they train after the lypo, but still. It's possible to lose that weight, show them how much you really want it.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I think most will agree that our three best WRs in the last 20 or so years have been:

Derrick Mason
    Ernest Givins
    Haywood Jeffries

If you look at historic stats at that position, we go fairly long stretches without "that" guy. I know part of that is how the game has changed from what it was, but you get my gist.

I agree with...you changed your name?...The Mrs, formerly Elfin. Mike is here at the right time and has a real opportunity. Don't waste time saying this or that, or go fetch former college studs who are too old to play, just sit back and wait and hope someone steps up into being what we need.

Mike literally has as much chance as anyone on this roster right now, and for a variety of reasons, including the one posted below, stands a good chance of making the top 3, IMO, IF HE CONTINUES TO LOSE WEIGHT, BUILD ENDURANCE, RUN NICE ROUTES, BUILD ENDURANCE, KEEP HIS STRENGTH, BUILD ENDURANCE....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6m0tatzaC68&feature=related

That's why MW is here. We know what Heimi and Fisher want to do on offense. We got someone at WR who fits the plan, prototypically, better than any other at the position.

We passed on Sweed, Hardy and others that people wanted us to draft. I'll offer this -- for two years, Mike Williams was the best TD catcher in college football ever, and they were his first two years. Following that, chasing Mo Clarett, he got wildly thrown off course. Now, he's been in the league for three full years -- if he's going to contribute, I think he's better prepared for the task than a couple of rookie 2nd round draft picks, who, in their college day, couldn't sniff Mike Williams jock strap, in all honesty.

Sure, he could blow through town before summer's over, but why pray about it? Ridiculous. While I pull for everyone, let's be upfront about these WRs we have, and by saying that (cuz some of you are too easily influenced), I'm not saying they SUCK as a few will interpret, I'm saying they all have things they must overcome:

JMac - 8 year vet who peaked 5 years ago. Or so it seems. Lot to overcome.

RW - has a plate in his leg; future availability and how it affects his position on the depth chart are uncertain. Creates space at the top.

BJones - So inconsistent, it breaks your heart, or gets you mad at least. Never liked how he won't get stronger up top (upper body, and the head). Mentally scattered frequently. When he loses confidence, someone has to pick up part of it for him and give it back before he goes to get the rest. (Don't take the comment too seriously. I was just going with it.)

Chris Davis -- Dude must grow or get faster. Neither is going to happen.

Paul Williams --Is going to have to get reps and attention, and make plays when it happens. Don't assume people are going to get passes this year. Heimi said so. You don't get noticed, or suck when you do, you're gone. It won't be, well, he was a third rounder. Even third rounders get cut the same year they were drafted. He's got potential, speed, strength. If he catches on, it would be great, but we just have nothing real to go on here. Enigma. He must change that.

Biren Ealy -- Well, he was a UDFA who played some on special teams and made one catch in a game. OTOH, plenty of other UDFAs who can't say that. Ealy has size and some speed (4.47, as fast as Hawkins, btw) to go with it, and will play STs, but clearly he is on the bottom half of the WR equation for now. Guys like this are usually upgradeable without a lot of difficulty, but some sink in and hang on like ticks. Ealy got on the radar last year. (Switching analogies) Now can he climb the ladder, or has he gone as high as he can?

Lavelle Hawkins -- Too many assume that cuz a guys was drafted by round 4 that he won't get cut. Don't sleep. I do think Lavelle is another of many reasons Chris Davis is firmly expendable, but wait...he could suck. He could be great, or mediocore, but he could suck...Also consider the above named receiver, Ealy. Both have similar speed. Both will play STs. Who do you think is the better blocker, offhand?

When it comes to this stuff, we're ALL wrong a lot more than we're right (at least I can say I was right about us drafting CJ :brow: nanner nanner), so going all RollTidish about it is, well, RollChildish.

Sorry, RT. Not really trying to pick at you.

I don't know if it will happen, but I can easily see Big Mike being one of our top 3 guys, and maybe even a starter on the outside by year's end.

What we should be hoping for is that somehow, someway, this guy is our karmic replacement for Adam Bernard Pacman Jones.

10. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

GLinks, it's not a book, you're not getting paid per page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar