Mike Vick is in trouble?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanbuoy, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Whether or not it was newsworthy, is obviously an opinion on your part, which you are certainly welcome too. But, the interest in the story would indicate that it was newsworthy.

There was nothing speculative in the story. The story they ran seems to be 100% accurate. If anyone speculated it was the readers, not the media. But that is the fault of the readers.

And if I put myself in his shoes I am sure I would be furious, I dont blame him for that, and to be honest, I can understand where you are coming from. However, with the perks of celebrity also come the downside. And an obvious downside is a situation like this. But, this was a situation that sounds like it could have easily been avoided had Vick just thrown the water bottle away when first instructed too. So regardless of whether the media was justified in their reporting, it was an event that seems 100% avoidable, had Vick not brought it on himself. And especially being a celebrity, he needs to be smarter than that.

And I dont buy for a second that he is possibly going to be traded because of this incident. If they want to trade him, it would be because he is an underachiever who is being paid a lot of money. Plenty of big time athletes have had their troubles with the law, but not been traded because they produced on the field. Do you honestly think if Vick was an MVP calibre QB there would be any trade talks surrounding him?

2. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

As he should, for being an idiot.

If Vick had said "bomb" in the airport, been taken to the ground, detained, searched, and a story been written about the incedent; would his civil liberties be violated?

Answer-NO, because you don't say "bomb" in an airport and you don't try to take a water bottle with a secret compartment that smells 'like' weed on an airplane, either. Especially if your name is Michael Vick. Since he didn't know any better, he will suffer consequences. That's the way things work in reality.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

No, because the story wasn't that Vick was caught drugs, but that he was involved in an incident with airport security.
    You don't wait on the bridge to collapse to report on it's shaky foundation, if you'll allow me another analogy (to how the media handles stories, not Vick).

A crime does not have to be commited nor does someone has to be hurt or die before something is newsworthy.

No. again you're at an airport, you have no privacy and as soon as you do something that triggers a police investigation it's publicly available. If you want to argue whether the police shouldn't be revealing information before THEY press charges, is another matter.

Maybe, but that will only be because some people have jumped to wrong conclusions. The paper didn't write that Vick was carrying marijuana, it didn't write that he did anything illegal and furthermore everything it wrote was backed up with statements from officials, be it airport or police.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

And Riverman, please point out the sections in the article that are speculation on the medias part.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I'm going to sign off of the thread. I'm convinced by your statements you still don't understand the points I'm trying to convey.

I'll agree to disagree and leave it at that. Appreciate the discussion.

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I understand your points. I just dont agree with them.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well that is of course your prerogative, however I strongly feel you wrongly lay blame at the media. I understand what it is you don't like, but from my point of view that blame should be with the authorities (police and airport security), not the media.

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I agree. Even though I dont completely agree with her, I believe Elfinmagic has a stronger argument thinking that the authorities were out of line, more so than the media.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RjtVnqZCndo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RjtVnqZCndo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

10. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

My personal opinion, which isn't based off much, is that it was a weed container. You don't hide jewels in there and it mysteriously smells like weed.

I think they took it back and did test it, but figured anything they had wouldn't warrant them going to court (because Mike would fight it) for a $1,000 fine. It would cost more to get the fine than the fine itself.

If you've smoked weed, or smelled it, before you know the distinct smell, it's hard to miss and mistake. Personally don't care either way, weed wouldn't help him run faster or pass better anyways, if anything it'd be the opposite effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar