Mike Heimerdinger has cancer

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

If I loved my job, yes. You think work is more stressful than sitting at home thinking about the cancer?

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Here are a few thoughts I've had hearing the news.

Jumping straight to chemotherapy tells me a few things. First- it is a chemosensitive tumor. Second- surgery or radiotherapy is not going to be beneficial at this stage. That means that either this tumor type is uniquely sensitive to chemotherapy (leukemias, lymphomas) or it has already metastasized (spread to other parts of the body). I'm betting the latter is not the case because they would use adjunctive therapies of surgery, immunotherapy and radiotherapy.

The fact that he had serious symptoms a few weeks ago, suggests that he was having systemic effects from his cancer. Colon, pancreatic, lung cancers usually also have surgery to remove the primary (original) cause of the tumor. No mention of surgery which makes these types less likely. Primary brain tumors are treated with surgery and/or gamma knife (radiation).

So- in summary I suspect Dinger has some from of lymphoma/leukemia (blood cancer) which most types are responsive to chemotherapy OR he has widely metastatic disease of unknown primary which portends a very poor prognosis. I believe he probably has the former with what I've heard thus far.

Just my 2 cents- could be way off. I pray for his health as well as his family's and that Lord will let him know that he is never alone no matter how dark it may seem.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Personally, I think I would too. But I may be a bit older than you and have a different view about life and longevity.

4. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I think I would too....what is the point of sitting around the house thinking about the disease spreading until you are able to get into chemo? Stressful does not always mean bad...especially if you really enjoy what you are doing.

I truly admire him for doing this...shows me alot of mental toughness, which he will really need in the coming months/years.

5. omahacolt

omahacolt Starter

please enlighten me on the non serious cancers out there

6. omahacolt

omahacolt Starter

once you know exactly what it is, you go to chemo immediately. you dont wait around.

its very common. even if his chances of survival are good

7. omahacolt

omahacolt Starter

great and informative post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar