Microsoft to offer SIX (6) versions of Vista ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puck, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

gee shocking coming from the biggest bias person around.

2. Actually, it could be done very easily if they wanted. Apple actively fights against hackers who try to run OSX on stock PC hardware.

Here's the thing: Microsoft is a software company. Apple is a HARDWARE company. Yes, they write lots of software, but it is primarily to sell their hardware. The fact that Macs can now run Windows gives Apple a sales advantage that no one else can match. That's why their stock price has gone up close to 20% over the last 2 days.

And by giving Windows users who are "bi-curious" (if you will) a single compter that will work for both, they can steal sales from all the other PC hardware companies out there. Plus, they are banking on the fact that the average computer user, after spending some real time with OSX, will switch for good.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

ok, maybe I should have said "properly"

how well would you think it would work ?

4. Probably pretty well. I'm sure not all hardware would be supported, but if you could build or buy a PC that had the same basic components as an Apple Intel Mac has, and then get your hands on a copy of OSX for Intel that has been hacked to allow it to run on non-approved hardware, it should be just the same as on a Mac.

I'm not sure exactly what Apple does to secure OSX on Intel. Developer versions have been hacked in the past to run on stock Dell hardware, though I'm not sure by what means. OS 9 used to require a hardware ROM chip that only Apple had access to (in theory). That's not the case with their current hardware, though they could be using Intel's Trusted Computing (which involves DRM directly in the hardware). If so, then this whole post could be moot...

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Fighting...... urge........ to........ hit........ ban...... user....... for....... life........ button.......

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

:ha:

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

:ha:

8. maximus

maximus Starter

I have used Windows and Linux and I am computer literate....Macs are worlds better than Windows. Linux is good, but it is hard to find stuff for it.

Open your eyes and see clearly, Macs are the way to go with computers these days.

Why do new Macs allow windows, becuase some companies wont program for Macs, so Mac allows Windows so Windows only programs will run on Macs

In case you didnt know, Window has copied or "borrowed" loads of stuff from Apple

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Better in what way? Runs smoother? more options? better for the advanced user? beginners? I mean it isn't hard to click on Internet Explorer and surf the net.

Isn't Mac hardware and Windows software? Shouldnt you be comparing either Mac vs Microsoft or OSX vs Windows?

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I do work for Communications Bureau as they like to call themselves (ie. advertising company). Trust me, I see Macs daily.

Well, ported isn't the right word to use, since that actually implies rewriting the code to use a different underlying hardware and/or API. Often you port higher level programs between OS's. However the new Windows will run on the new Macs because they're will be Intel based, and thus use the x86 family specification. Now if Apple were so sure of their superior hardware and software, why aren't they sticking with it?

And I'm sure you can do a lot of Administrative stuff on Mac's as well (you can't make an OS without it), but my beef is that it's not readily accessible. Even in Windows there's only a handful of hidden programs that you want to know about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar