Michael Vick Comparisons?...What about BIG Ben?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Aday25, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Both took their teams to a national championship game.

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Sec 139

This is what happens when your Owner makes the decision on your #3 overall pick for the future of the franchise...

3. Tungtide

Tungtide Just Another Freak

Vince is a competitor and you can tell he absolutely HATES to lose. On any given Sunday that makes him dangerous, as long as he doesn't qualify the way he wins.
    How many of you remember those Sundays where things weren't going well
    and a game was getting away from us and McNair had that "Oh well" look on his face? Vince doesn't know how to look that resigned to an outcome and I hope he never does. I do believe that he is feeling pressure (either real or imagined) because of the label of "mobile quarterback". In truth, a win is a win, and he needs to relax and embrace his gifts. With time he may become the mental vision he has of a QB, but until then he needs to do his thing without questioning it.
    (Note: I loved McNair but hated when he would get that "it's over" look on his face.)

4. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

It seems not just you but many others are forgetting one thing.....THIS ISN'T COLLEGE ANY MORE! You can take what he did in college and leave it there. The game is quite different in the NFL. The defenses are much more complex to read and their speed is equal to his. Vince hasn't adjusted at all to this league either with his accuracy or ability to read a defense. I agree that he got by on his legs and luck last season and that this year the defense have zero respect for his passing ability because they know it will be either at their feet and behind the receivers so they only have to focus on his running, which he seems to have decided he isn't going to do any more. In my opinion, his decision to ignore his running talents has, at this point in time, made him a worse QB than Vick. Now can he not throw but he's given up on his running so therefore has done nothing to help us win games so far this season. Yeah sure he had a decent game against NO but that was a piss poor D and one out of 6 games isn't going to cut it in this league.

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Funny how all these critics start popping up with the I-told-you-so's when Vince performs poorly.

Funny how they're nowhere to be found when Vince plays well.

6. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

You must never be on this board. One: Young's never played well, and two: I've been preaching the Young topic since before the draft and there are plenty of people on this board that can vouch for that.

7. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

In all fairness to Adams... that's the first time he's ever done that. He's a hands-off owner for the most part.

8. On the other hand, some of us have been predicting this all year long...

In the end, an NFL QB is only as good as his arm. The ability to run adds a dimension that other QBs don't have, but you aren't going to win unless your QB is a quality passer.

9. Nine

Nine Starter

Yes.

You also begrudingly acknowledged Young's strong performance against the Giants last year, and pretty much disappeared altogether when Vince took over games and turned into a human highlight reel. (I remember seeing more than one "where's TP now?" post that went unanswered.)

Either way, the critics were strangely silent when Vince was making plays. He isn't doing that at the moment....and of course, the naysayers are having a field day.

10. Nine

Nine Starter

True. The position generally does require a certain level of proficiency as a passer, if one hopes to have any long-term success.

That said....I don't think anyone could have predicted what we've seen from Vince thus far. His completion percentage has increased significantly, but his overall production has taken a nosedive. He has deliberately and repeatedly avoided making plays with his legs, essentially stripping himself of the very thing that made him so effective.

I'm sure he believed that focusing strictly on his passing game would help to accelerate the learning curve. However, all it's done is take him out of his element, and turned him into a less accurate version of David Carr.

I won't pretend to be some guru of football strategy. Watching the games on TV, I can't see how the receivers are running their routes, or how LB's and DB's have altered their approach to defending Vince.

What I can see is that Vince currently bears little resemblance to the guy we saw last year. He's taken himself out of his comfort zone, tried to turn himself into something he's not, and now he's just another mediocre dink-and-dunk passer with a stable of mediocre receivers.

Booyah. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar