Media; Why are the Titans 4-0? Jeff Fisher of course...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Hoffa, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

well, as long as we are winning when we have talent, I could care less what we do without it..I mean at least hes not losing with talent, so it could be worse.

2. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Hoffa, any response to my question about who in the league is better than Fisher? Would you put him in the top 5 coaches in the league? Just currious. If he is, I would say his is, relatively a great coach among his contemporaries, though not historically a great coach.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

yeah, but that's on VY being an over-achiever and helping win games on his own. (and with pac's help).

It's not Fisher that was overachieving that season, at least I don't see it that way.

4. Alex1939

Agree with Hoffa.

I can go ahead and tell you how Fisher will be remembered (at least in my world):

Wins a superbowl, this season or in the future, he goes down as a GREAT coach, similar to Bill Cowher. Took a long time to get to the championship, but usually fielded a competitive team.

Never wins a superbowl. He is then labeled as an above average (or good) coach that could never get it done, similar to Marty Schottenheimer. Possibly even a "choker" in big games, but I don't remember us being favored to often in the playoffs so I'm not sure that's fair.

5. Alex1939

I'm gonna take a shot at this:

Belicheat.
    Dungy.
    Gruden.
    Coughlin. (I think his ability to become more of a player's coach and less of a hardass has really helped him)
    Holmgren.

The common theme is they all have rings.

I think adamwinn51 put it pretty well: Fisher stacks up good against his current peers, but not so well from a historical perspective.

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

That's like saying he's the prettiest turd in the toilet. If the league is flooded with terrible coaches, that doesn't mean he's a great coach, it just means he's better than them. Can he be called a great coach? No, he has no Superbowl wins, let alone plural trips to the Superbowl. Is he a very media savvy coach, yes, but that is not how we judge greatness. He is a great spin-doctor:)

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Not to mention, how great of a coach was he that he basically released our starting QB 1 week before the opener and signed a drunk off the street to start with zero knowledge of the playbook, system and players. That is putting your team at an immediate disadvantage and was a very poor decision. If he stuck with Volek, we might not even be having these conversations about how poorly VY has progressed because he would've been given the opportunity to sit and learn. What if's right?

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Chicken or the Egg. Is it the players or the coaches?

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Stay classy. :rolleyes:

10. T Atlas

T Atlas Guest

Superbowl wins determine how well a coach is? Thats the same as saying players who don't win a superbowl suck too. There are countless counter examples to this logic.

Fisher is a great coach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar