McNair retirement fund.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jan 27, 2006.

?
  1. Redo current contract, pay him 10 mil

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Redo contract, pay him OVER 13.5 mil

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Redo contract, pay him under 8 mil

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  4. Cut him, resign him after he tests the market

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

I say offer him 5 mill. Let him know that if he doesn't take it he is free to test the free agent market, but if he doesn't find something he likes we would welcome him back with open arms. No way we let him bust our balls for 10 mill.

2. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Given the lack of appeal there is for Steve from other teams and that the Titans will be willing to pay more than anyone esle likely will, I see the Titans holding all the cards. I hope that McNair has learned from what happened to Eddie. And also how taking a pay cut worked out well for Jerome Bettis. Someone needs to remind him of that.

3. #1TitansFan

#1TitansFan Camp Fodder

If Steve and his agent realize the cap situation that we are in, and if Steve really wants to be a Titan he should at least come down a couple million dollars.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

i can't imagine Steve (and Cook) actually looking at it like this :
    "hmmm,,...... Reese has $10 million in cap room this year. let's see how much of it we can absorb"

Steve certainly realizes that the more money spent of FA's or whatever will only help to contribute to the rebuiliding of this team. if it's all tied up in him, it'll be last year revisited

5. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

As much as I love Steve, I just can not justify putting all my eggs into one basket, and an old basket at that. <u><b>We HAVE to invest in the future.</u></b> Our money needs to be spent on players who will be around in 4-5 years.
    I think its time for Steve to swallow his pride, look at Eddie watching the game on TV and Bettis who is pounding his way into the SB and on to Canton. Who made the right choice?
    ________
    FORD WIKI PICTURE

6. Nash

Nash Starter

Steve apparently spoke to Doug Williams who advised him to go to another team to get a ring...Steve wants to go, but he doesn't want to look like the bad guy here ( i.e. ungrateful, unloyal, greedy- pick one) my guess is that he has an offer waiting if he does leave.. so how can he get Floyd to look like the bad guy.. by saying he won't take a pay cut he forces Floyd to cut him because he's not worth the price this next year.. I'm betting that Volek is the starting QB in the fall- and we have an awesome running game by spending the money on OL

7. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

To look at this "fairly" (which may be impossible) you'd have to look at salary cap era quarterbacks with similar team impact and similar career length and see what type of money these quarterbacks made over the length of their career. Then you might be able to get an idea of where to slot McNair.

I'm way too lazy to dig all that info up, but let me say this... I think Steve deserves a fair amount of money, maybe even more than fair considering what he has meant to the franchise.

Sure, he hasn't performed at a $10M a year level over the last couple of seasons, but how much has he made over the length of his career? Steve has the reputation of a "restructure and take one for the team" kind of guy, deserved or not. If he has done that in the past and the team has given him a carrot on a stick with a big payout at the end of his career, then maybe it's time to pay the piper.

I get sick of these contracts that have exorbitant amounts of money at the end that the team and the player know will never get paid out. I think Manning has one of those contracts now. Colts fans are saying the same thing we've always said about Steve. "Oh, he'll just restructure for the good of the team."

As I said before, I don't have the facts and I don't know what McNair deserves, but I think at this point the Titans should definitely take into consideration any under market deals he accepted in the past and make up some of that compensation to him.

Who knows, perhaps Steve has been paid market value or more than market value for his career. In that case, I say pay him what you think he is worth in today's dollars.

There's an argument of "well, so and so has made $X million dollars to play football, he doesn't need the money" and while that rings true to most folks like me working paycheck to paycheck, it's still a matter of comparing what others are making for similar jobs with similar performances.

And finally, to end this ramble, I'd be willing to pay Steve quite a bit more if we end up drafting a quarterback, particularly Vince Young. In that case, you're not only paying him to be in charge for a year or two, but you're getting intangible dividends way down the road throughout the new QBs career.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]
    hardball

It would be nice to meet somewhere in the middle on this.

9. McNair won't get cut. There is a virtually 0% chance. If the Titans decide they don't want to pay him long term, they will simply take the $1M option from his bonus. And if they don't even want to pay him his $9M this year, they will then trade him...

10. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

But Starkiller who will want to take on his 9 million dollar salary? I can't see anyone making a trade for him unless he is willing to lower that number. Maybe he will to go to a team that has a chance to win. If we can't get any trade value for him and we have to pay him 9 million, wouldn't we cut him then. Do you really see us paying him 10 million this year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar